Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xls export merging cells 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcole

Programmer
Aug 2, 2000
US
I have a report that is exported to xls. When I try to sort it, it cannot becuase the cells are mergerd. How can I prevent this?

Depends on your report layout - RS uses some basics to try to align the report in excel as it is in RS. This means that if you have a top table with wide columns and a bottom table with narrower columns, the export to excel will merge some cells in the top table to try to keep the layout the same.

This is due to the fact that an RS table can be laid out anywhere on a page but within excel, a column must continue at the same width for the entire sheet. As such, different sized table columns are managed by merging cells...

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

My report has a header and 1 table. I am not grouping anything either. Could something else cause this?

which part of the export is being merged ?

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

A good link that explains the issue well

Rgds, Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back