Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XL97 formula for counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschreck

Programmer
Jan 26, 2000
CA
www.geocities.com
I have 2 columns. The first with words, the other with numbers.<br><br>EX:<br><br>sean....4<br>jane....6<br>jim.....1<br>alice...2<br>jim.....4<br>jane....7<br>ryan....2<br>jim.....1<br><br>I need to total the numbers in relation to the names.<br><br>EX<br>alice...2<br>sean....4<br>jane....13<br>jim.....6<br>ryan....2<br><br>how can I do this. i'm trying with Vlookup, but I'm having some trouble....<br><br>TIA <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Eclectic Page</a><br>

Do you want to &quot;count&quot; or do you want to return the corresponding number to a particular name? For example, if you type in &quot;alice&quot;, do you want the number 2 to be returned?

As I was writing a response, I realised that I do want to count....though I made a mistake in my previous post as to what I wanted to count.<br><br>In the above example, if I wanted to count how many times Jim showed up, it would say '3'.<br><br>*sigh* that's what happens when you try to get an early start on your day and forget the tea. *laugh* <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Eclectic Page</a><br>

If you want to count instances, I would not use vlookup. vlookup is used to reference tabulated items. For example, if you have a list of employees, each with an ID #, vlookup can return the name given the ID or return the ID given the name. I would recommend either using a pivot table or a macro to count instances of occurance.

If you have your names in A1:A8, numbers in B1:B8<br><br>Put this formula in cell E1. It is an array formula so you must use Ctl+Shift+Enter for it to work.<br><br>=SUM(IF(A1:A8=D1,B1:B8))<br><br>If you then type one of your names in cell D1, their total will display in cell E1.<br><br>You can also hard code the name in place of D1 in the formula. =SUM(IF(A1:A8=&quot;jim&quot;,B1:B8)) would give your jim's total without typing the name in cell D1.<br><br>If you miss spell a name anywhere your count will be off so you may want to do some validation.<br><br>Bob Crawford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back