Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XL 2000: System DSN/ODBC problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

locutis

Programmer
Nov 3, 2006
US
Hello,

I have several users who are running Office 2000 SR-1 on Windows 2000 and I have no problem setting up their System DSN/ODBC with an Excel sheet that uses external data from MSQuery. Now I have a user that has Office 2000 sp3 running on Windows XP and the System DSN/ODBC doens't "stick". I other words, when the sheet opens, it opens the ODBC window where it asks for the password over and over again, either it seems for each connection or that it's just not connecting at all.

If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening I would be forever grateful. This is causing me to pull out hairs I don't have.

Thanks,
Jean Luc

Hi Jean Luc,

This is not an Office 2003 issue IMO. It may be the driver. Have you tried reloading Office or the driver(s) involved?

What database driver configuration is not "sticking"?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip,

Here's what I've tried:
Me(successful installation):
SQL Server ODBC Driver (SQLSRV32.DLL - 2000.81.9053)
Permissions: Local Admin (Full Control)

Other user (unsuccessful installation):
SQL Server ODBC Driver (SQLSRV32.DLL - 2000.85.1062)
Permissions: Local Admin (Full Control)
(Tried latest driver version (SQLSRV32.DLL - 3.85.1117), no luck, then reverted back to same version Amber has. Trouble registering though, although I got an error message, dll must have registered otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get any kind of connection and I'm able to with a new MS Query, just not the existing MS Query.)

Both have:
Excel version (2000 9.0.6926 SP-3)
Microsoft Office 2000\Library\MSQuery\XLQuery.xla (Permissions: Local Admin (Full Control))
Addins folder: 26 objects (no MSQuery or ODBC addins)
Windows version (2000 sp4)
me\ApplicationData\Excel\XLSTART\Excel.xlb (me\ApplicationData\Excel\XLSTART\Excel.xlb)

MDAC 2.5 or later is required, so I downloaded latest version of MDAC as you saw.

I know we did all the latest Windows updates (31), did a detect and repair for that version of MS Office, but should we do a complete remove and reinstall from the CD? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jean Luc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back