Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XFX GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb - Comp reboots in intense moments

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronvvright

Programmer
Mar 28, 2002
CA
So I just got this thing for Xmas, and when I play games like Grand Theft Auto 3, it runs fine for a bit but then the game freezes, loops sound and previous motions, then my comp reboots.

In Giants: Citizen Kabuto, the game will run fine for 15 mins of online play, but then the round ends, I go back in for another, and not 2 minutes before my comp reboots...

Games which aren't so intense like Counter-Strike (Half-Life mod) do not seem to be effected.

So my only assumption is that it's overheating or the mememory isn't being dumped or something :S

When I play Giants, as it loads, the screen will show the last image of the last thing my video card produced even after a reboot. Shouldn't all memory be wiped when the comp is rebooted?

Thanks a million for any help! I will be returning this card to where I bought it if I do not resolve this soon.

PS: This never happened with my Radeon 8500 LE 128mb.

My System:
CPU: AMD Athlon 900Mhz
RAM: 256mb
MoBo: EPoX EP-8KTA3
Drivers Version: 41.09

Look in Event Viewer error logs for any clues...most likely the issue is not the drivers themselves but concerning how the card was installed OR the settings within the games
Make sure you followed the recommended procedure for doing it.
As this is a Via chipset motherboard, the chipset drivers may need to be updated. You'll find them at

All my drivers are up to date and I've run a windows update.

I didn't find anything in the event viewer either.

Up to date drivers are not always the best ones...as the older ones sometimes are more stable. You'll need to be willing to MAKE it work, and that may include rolling back to the next older drivers. Something this complex isn't easily explained away, there are a great many variables involved. It may be something simple...it may not.

Also, look to the configuration settings of the card in the config utility.

Hmm

"NV" causes the error in GTA3.

GR SW Notify Error on 0001 d3d09701 00000597 00001770 00000000 00000002

Whatever that means...

I'm going to recreate the error in Giants now and see what it brings up...

So, you'd agree that Nvidia drivers are probably causing the issue?
(it may well be an internal setting in the game that's causing the crash, tho, even IF it happens in other games.)

Hi,

I'm not too sure of the 2000 stop errors or even if there are stop errors in 2000, however in Xp there are stop errors that pop up at certain points and the NV error you are getting was one of the ones I used to get with my GF3 card. However, I did two things and it fixed it.
I changed my audio card and I updated the new driver by Nvidia to the 41.09 and all has worked fine.
But, before getting to that point. I tried everything and nothing really worked. I did noticed that an older driver installed created a less of a "frequency" of the error. Also, I noticed that when I installed the newest DirectX update it created a less of a "frequency" of the error. But nonetheless, the errors still occurred until the new driver by Nvidia was installed and the audio card was switched.
Also, my errors were random...meaning it occurred whenever. There was no set amount of time or whatever...kind of reminded me of the old days with DOS and IRQ conflicts....one just never knew when it was going to blow.
So, my recommedations. Switch audio cards or completely remove it and see what happens. Yeah it sucks without sound for a while but at least you will know if you still get the NV errors.
Then after removing the audio card AND without the audio card installed, install an older version of the Nvidia driver and see what happens.

I hope it sheds some light. Now, only if I can get my stupid GF4 card to work!!!! At least you get video display! I get nothing! :)

take care,

Jae.

i had those problems in the past, but thankfully they are all solved now. There are a few different causes, related to sound, graphics, and also via motherboards in XP.

1) early nvidia detonator 3 drivers had an issue with referencing invalid memory addresses causing an infinite loop error (in nv_disp.dll or something). Solution: Get drivers 30xx or above (i recommend getting 41.01 drivers and also directX 9) *ONLY DOWNLOAD FOR NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARDS*

2) early creative sb audigy drivers and xp live! drivers had a non compatible dll (NTOSS.DLL or something i think) which caused lock ups in directsound/eax games. Solution: Upgrade to the new drivers available on the creative website. *ONLY DOWNLOAD FOR CREATIVE LIVE! OR CREATIVE AUDIGY CARDS*

3) the first fwe releases of via 4 in 1 drivers after xp was released were not fully xp compliant and caused crashes in games. Solution: Get the new Via Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers. *ONLY DOWNLOAD FOR VIA CHIPSET BASED MOTHERBOARDS*

Hope this is of help

Marc

I have been trying to figure out this problem for about tha last 4 months with my gf4 ti4200 .... I found a bit of help from this webpage

have a look there and do a few of the things mentioned .... there are alot of people out there getting this problem and no one really knows what is causing it cause it is a different situation with nearly every different computer, I think I have resolved mine after alot of hair pulling by installing a "test driver" from via and disabling the "NV help file" in system process's.... I have also updated all drivers to the latest, bios and via chipset drivers ....

Thanks
Neo81

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back