Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xerox Printing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickDavid

Technical User
Jul 10, 2007
US
Printer Model: Xerox Phaser 8550

Currently, this is the only printer that is used within the office. Most of our printing is done in B&W. My question is, if we are sending word documents that appear on screen to be black text, is this printing as a rich black or just a black? Is this printer actually using 100% of CMYK or just 100% of black?

If it is using a rich black, to cut down on printing costs, it would be in our best interest to purchase a separate printer which uses only a black toner cartridge.

Does anyone know this? Thanks

Well, If it is either, it is still using up ink!
Too high-end unit to use B&W! Do get a mono printer for your needs. Use the phaser for full color printing at least a few times a week, just to keep the printhead jets clear.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

I have an 8550 that is used for most of my printing needs. Recently I updated the printers internal software which was supposed to address the issue with black printing using the enhanced setting.

I experimented with some printing using the the different settings and checked the ink usuage by checking the job accounting records with the Xerox software and printing a page with only black lettering. Cost are based on color ink at $30 and black at $15 per cube.

Fast Color - $.0722 to print a page - .0582 color .0140 black
Standard - $.0696 to print a page - .0486 color .0210 black
Enhanced - $.0366 to print a page - .0000 color .0366 black

Conclusion -
Fast Color is faster but uses more color ink when printing only black.
Standard is slower to print but uses more black and less color ink.
Enhanced uses only black for black printing but is musch slower to print. I was right after I got the printer that it used the least amount of ink using the enhanced setting and that is my default setting. If I want to print low quality color the fast color setting is better but enhanced is best on black usage.

On my 860 it would use all the colors to make a rich black. There is a setting that will let you only use black, but I didn't have much luck with it. I went to another printer for black only.

(This is my first post to the forum.. Greetings from Greece!)

Regarding B&W printing on the 8500/8550, I have read several times in the past (cannot remember where precisely) that when you select in the TekColor tab the "Black and White" setting, then the printer is forced to use pure black.
NickDavid and Danswindow did not clarify whether they were printing B&W or colour documents and which TekColor setting was used.
My guess is that the printer will behave differently on each case, but it will still use some colour ink just to keep the jets clean.
In any case, Danswindow's tests regarding the Fast mode are particularly alarming. From what it seems, it should be avoided.

Danswindow,

I too am wondering if you adjusted the Tek Color settings in the Print Preferences area. Did you use the Automatic, Office Color, or Black & White settings?

Nevertheless, impressive research.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back