Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xerox 7700 dirty copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synokh

Technical User
Oct 24, 2007
US
Hi there

I recently purchased a Xerox 7700 and am having problems with printing black and white text. There is a small repeating defect that does not line up with any of the 'repeating defect sheets'. Additionally as I continue to print, the edges of the paper become black in that area and in another area farther down the paper. It is like it picks up dirt. The black areas are fused. (When i jog a stack of the prints the edges of the paper is black in a few areas)

Color prints seem to be OK. All the components show a good life remaining.

I have 'removed smudges' and after about 5-10 passes the smudges are gone. But they do return within about ten prints.

Additionally full color prints or pictures seem fine, although I am still fiddling with the color balance etc.

If I change the paper orientation to 'avoid' the bad area I still get dark edges. If it was a larger production machine like a Doc-40 or 5690 I would say the dicors had gone bad. However I don't have much basis for comparison with my new 7700.

What is causing the black 'edges' on the prints? And, why is the defect not lining up with anything on the repeating defect test page?

Should I try printing blue text to see if it is the black toner delivery system? What would you suggest?

Thanks for your help!

Synokh

I would suggest that if its in only black you see this defect to first swap the drum cartridges around and see if the color you swap it to shows up on the edges next if that doesn't help you look at the accumulator belt and as it processing the print (IE stop it while in the process of printing something before it makes it to the fuser then pull the accumulator belt out and inspect the image on it) but don't touch the belt with your fingers the oil on your skin can leave defects next if that doesn't fix it and its only happening from the color clean the laser window and if that doesn't help try replacing the developer in that color and if none of that works chuck it out a window lol just kidding if that doesn't work lemme know and I can search a little deeper for you but anything beyond the above is prolly going to get costly.

This model of 7700 has a larger black toner drum so I can't swap it out with a magenta, for example. However I will convert my print project to word and will change the text color and test if the defects occur in the other primaries...

I will take a look at the accumulator belt. What specifically am I looking for? Perhaps a residual image on there? If I end up doing the developer change, I might need help. I don't have a technical manual as of yet, and I haven't done it on this type of machine before. Done some work with the larger commercial printers but not one of these.

Thanks for the input and I'll give an update once I troubleshoot through the suggestions.

Thanks,

Syn

No no the drums are the print cartridges inside the front door you pull down, you have to release that clip and pull down the bar in the front then remove the waste toner cartridge then the drums are the long blue cylinders with photoreceptive material on the faces so don't touch them either there should be 4 of them and they sit right behind the waste toner cartridge check those not the toner.

Next the accumulator belt is to the the right side inside that little 3x24 inch door make sure you have the front door open and that clip and pull down bar down from the above statement next there is a little yellow tab to the left side when staring in at the accumulator belt push it up and slide the belt out note how the metal rails slide in and out before pulling it out because it can be a pain to put back and yes inspect the belt and look for the defect that is on your prints on the belt if its there inspect a little farther down towards whats called the cleaned blade assembly and see if a label or something is built up such as toner if it is remove the assembly via 2 screws on the side and dump it out and clean it but being careful not to wipe the white powder off the blade itself as that is startiing powder and if you wipe it off will make a horrible screeching noise if you wipe it all off.

the developer module if it comes down to that even for an experienced person takes at least an hour or better to put in so get your hands on a manual as putting it in has many steps and some very important parts that can be messed up easily if your ot careful.

Yah sorry bout that I realized after I posted that you meant the cartridge....

I changed them and it made no appreciable difference. However as I was testing I got some jams in the fuser area and I took a closer look.

It seems that it is the fuser, as when I print test prints full color after a jam, there's the repeating defect on the back of the page, but if I stop the machine mid print ie: the paper is in between at the fuser area, below (unfused) there is no defect on the back, while above (fused) there is. The fact that I was printing a double sided book made diagnosis tougher as I couldn't tell when the defect was occuring...

So, tomorrow I will take the fuser out and will examine it closely, and I expect I will find some damage.

Where would you recommend I get a new fuser? the Supplies Guys ( sells one for $217 but I'd really like to get one for a tad less.

Anyhow, thank you for the help, and I will definitely pursue the Accumulator belt testing and view if I can't find damage on the fuser. But it does look like the fuser might have gone kaput.

All the best,

Syn

for the Phaser models especially at $217 for a fuser for this model thats a good price I'd jump on that as I don't think you'll find it much cheaper and yeah the fuser can become contaminated with alot of crap so its not surprising good luck and if you have anymore questions just lemme know.

regards, Nick NCXI.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back