Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xcopy not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2002
US
I am trying to copy over 1000 mpegs,avi,etc from an almost full 80gb drive to a new 220gb drive and I have used robocopy in the past and since XP does not have it I was trying to use xcopy, but have been unable to. The line I was using was:
xcopy e: f: /clone /y
Yet when I look in the new folder nothing has changed. Any suggestion?

Or use this syntax:
xcopy e: f:*.* /y /s

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Comtech,

xcopy e: f:*.* /y /s ???????????

source: destination:

xcopy e:*.* f: /y /s

:)

Using "copy", you would specify *.* for both source and destination.
Using "xcopy" only destination is needed AFAIK, although it's probable that xcopy doesn't need wildcards at all (I've forgotten).
/s copies dirs and subdirs, except empty ones.
/y suppresses the overwrite prompt.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

You still reversed source and destination whether it was copy or not.

copy e:*.* f: correct
copy e: f:*.* ?????

xcopy e:*.* f: correct
xcopy e: f:*.* ??????

Hmmm..."E" is source, "F" is destination. Pretty sure I got that right.
I can't find my resource, but somewhere something prompted me to put the wildcards in the destination, when using Xcopy...
I was thinking the wildcard was needed in destination to maintain folder structure...or am I thinking of Unix FTP commands or something that has absolutely nothing to do with DOS...anything's possible today :)

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

The /s switch preserves folder structure. I usually add the /e switch so that empty directories are preserved.

DOS has always wanted the syntax for copy or xcopy that you fully specify the source files, then just a pointer to the destination.

I had a refresher on this recently when I was asked to script a procedure for regular backups of critical files. I started doing something elaborate with WSH, looked over a weekend for doing it with WinBatch, a 3rd Party Program, and in an epiphany used xxcopy, a freeware 3rd party utility. It provides through its switches some things that are simply tedious to do scripting by hand. If you have a chance read the documentation on the site and you will see what I mean. With a couple of well chosen switches I could do a full backup, replace, or whatever for files that have changed in the last 10 minutes, and only those. I used it to batch a weird application backup were the software used a lot of zero length files. Neither DOS or Xcopy would copy those. Nor would available tape software. But without the zero length files, when the client restored from backup the application would not run. (I will protect the idiot programmer from mentioning this well known accounting program that sounds rougly like ack attack by name).

I suspect that you deliberatly blocked all knowledge of DOS from your brain. This happens as a defensive mechanism for UNIX/Linux people. Some Windows one too.

Best.

Heh, it's possible that I've completely blocked that bit of DOS, because I have been using XXcopy for so long, and tend to just clone things, not worrying about individual file/folder names.
I probably should have shut my mouth about 4 posts ago ;-)

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim,

I am with you about the merits of xxcopy.

And please do not shut up. The only way I have ever learned anything worth remembering was when I was wrong.

A belated thanks for all your help in this Forum. I have learned a lot from you.

Best,
Bill

Wow, I just asked a simple qustion, seems like you two both like this question alot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back