Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XBOX360

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumpletumpskin

Technical User
Mar 27, 2007
US
i am brand new to hardware but i read the specs for the possessing of the XBOX360

# 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
# 2 hardware threads per core; 6 hardware threads total
# 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core; 3 total
# 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
# 1 MB L2 cache

and i was wandering if i could buy the console (best price $225) then rip it apart and put the possessors into a pc.

if so how great would that be?

I dont think that would be possible. For one you would need a motherboard that would support the processors. It would be great if you could though.

The processors fitted into games consoles are designed specifically for gaming. They have commands made into them that would not be compatible with Windows (linux possibly).

But yes, tri-core does sound nice. but saying that I have a tri-core pc (dual core processor, and a graphics card).

thanks guys. i wouldn't ask unless i was desperate. i want to play bioshock without paying for an upgrade :(

Why don't you try ghosting the hard drive with a UNIX application, or just copy all the contents to a hard drive using Solaris for X86 (slave it to a junk computer, and put Solaris 10 for X86 on it---it's free from Sun). After backing it up, try loading Windows on it. Or, load Windows on a hdd and install it into the XBox. Or, slave the hdd in the XBox to your Windows PC, and try to boot to it. Or, download a Linux Live CD (like Knoppix), and boot to it with the XBox hdd slaved in the system. I'd love to try things like that---I am a hacker by nature in many respects, especially when it comes to hardware. I did my own modifications to Canon copiers all the time, for years.Hell, you got me curious---I just might buy an XBox 360 just to tear it apart!

Burt

I played the Bioshock demo the other night, amazing graphics and art-deco design. I would say that the game is a mix of Doom3 and Myst.

The developers said that the game doesn't have time-line or set method, but I would beg to differ. It does offer multi choice gaming but with out giving you set choices (options).

I don't have a 360 so I'll shut up now.

I find it kinda funny, considering that you would want to buy an XBOX and tear it apart, instead of upgrading...

just to be able to play a game...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

its not funny to be broke ben but i do see what you are saying.

how much would it cost to get a mb and video card that would give me the graphics of a 360?

my current specs:

ABIT FATAL1TY AN8
Radeon X800XL
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 2.2GHz
CORSAIR XMS 1GB

just a thought....

if you were going to buy an xbox360 just to rip it apart....why not buy it and and get Bioshock for that?

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

I know all about being broke...

that is why I think that is funny...

spending 225 bucks to buy an XBOX to play one game on the PC...

instead, I would invest in a better GFX card and some more RAM, and you would end up spending less or equal the amount...

reason: CPU is GOOD... MoBo is GOOD... GFX card underpowered ergo NOT GOOD... RAM is GOOD, though a bit more can't hurt...

Leadtek PX8600GT TDH GDDR2 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2
$103.99

CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
$71.00

Total: $174.99 , saving 50 bucks for a drink or two with the dudes...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back