Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

x550e Link Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the7thcolumn

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2011
CA
I have a older WG x550e unit at home (same as at work) however I noticed that the network configuration only allows to set the device up to 100mbps not all the way to gigabit.

Has anyone else seen this? I know for a face the other unit is identical but there is the drop down for the speed of the port.

Im assuming this would trottle me down if I were to purchase 250 Mbps internet.

I should mention the unit is WG x550e running firmware 10.2

That's because they are only 10/100 ports..

The Firebox® X1250e has Gig E ports

i think they are 10/100/1000 - at least on the x750e they are too.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Thats what the unit says its compatible to be upgraded to the x750 the hardware is all the same. It just seems odd that we can select this on the other unit (x550e) at work when it has not been soft-updated to the x750 series.

WG refuses to talk to me about it unless I buy their support product for ~400$ USD a year and this was simply for home user and learning the product.

why dont you buy a not for resell XTM25 for home? its silent and useful! :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

What software version is on your home & work X550e ?
10/100/100 is available in XTM (V11.x), but not in Fireware (V8.x & V10.x)

Its 10.2 so simply due to the OS on the unit I am unable to use the gigabit functionality?

Its funny the WG device allows me to choose gigabit if I force a x750 or x1250 config to it but due to how few ports the x550e has it fails to accept the config and reverts back to the x550 config file. I tried this since the device is compatible to be upgraded to these levels.

Can you site a source that states that from XTM and up it supports gigabit?

As the WG Forum is down, and has been down for a few weeks now, no.
But there was a confirmation by a WG staffer that this was an upgrade in XTM - on the unavailable WG Forum.
The Hardware docs for XTM e-Series do not confirm GB is available for an X550e - which is a doc error.

I have WSM V10.2.12 & WSM V11.8.
1000 (1 Gb) is an available option for a X550e in WSM V11.8. It is not for V10.2.12.

If you check, I would expect that you are running V11.x on the work X550e.

Bruce thanks! That was the reason why. I did too notice the WG forums were down.

Have you worked closely with the x550 x750 and x1250 series? If I was to clone the flash card inside the one unit to another would that work?

The Feature Key which is included in your config contains the firewall serial number, the model number (including any model upgrades ie. x550e -> x750e), and other features including add-on options which are licensed.
It also includes the LiveSecurity license expiration date.

Without the correct Feature key, you can't cause a X550e to become a higher model.
Without an active LiveSecurity (LS) license, you can't upgrade the software or add additional features or model upgrades.
If your LS has expired, then you need to add a 2 year or more LS license, or a bundle license, or purchase a reinstatement license along with a 1 year LS.
An X550e goes EOL on Dec 31,2015, so the longest LS that you can get is 2 years.
I can find several sites which sell WG017326 for a little over $500. Generally a reinstatement + 1 yr LS is about the same cost as a 2 year LS.
An active LS will allow you to upgrade this firewall to XTM - the latest XTM version for your model is V11.3.7.

Also, try contacting Customer Care.
Sometimes they will give you a 1 week LS, which will allow you to upgrade the software to a current version.

Also, the WG Forum is now back online.
This is the best source for answers related to WatchGuard product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back