Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X360 RAID 1 replace drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everest63

Technical User
Jan 9, 2001
US
Hi,
I have an IBM X360 server with two 18.2 GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirrored array. One of the drives went defunct and I think I need to replace it. In other servers I have that are RAID 5 I would simply pull out the hot swappable bad drive and slide in a new one and it would rebuild automatically.Can I do the same thing with a RAID 1 two HD? I have installed on the server the IBM RAID Manager (see attachment JPG).
Andrew

Yes you can if auto rebuild is enabled, it is by default, otherwise,If you don't see the rebuild kick off after 1 minute, refresh servraid manager and then right click the new drive and choose rebuild.

I don't mean this in a terribly negative way toward this specific question, but shouldn't the OP know this stuff if they are administering a server? It concerns me that people are making technical decisions based on posts on an internet forum - regardless of how good the advice is.

In this case, the advice is correct, but it worries me that non-technical people are messing with stuff they shouldn't instead of calling in a professional. I would liken it to someone trying to talk me through doing some plumbing. Big mistake!

@goombawaho
So my question above compelled you to state that the OP should know this stuff if they are administering a server? Sorry if my query bothered you so. The site is called Tek-Tips Forums and after perusing the forum "IBM Disk & RAID Solutions Forum" I saw plenty of people asking for assistance for their disk & RAID issues and many people in kind answering those questions.

@rclarke250
I would like to thank you for assisting me with my RAID 1 question.
The new drive rebuilt automatically and is now online and working fine. Thanks again!

Andrew

As I had tried to state at the start of my first reply - I don't have a problem with you or your question specifically. I'm trying to point out that it's dangerous for non-IT people to perform maintenance on critical systems.

Heck - even if you are experienced with servers, RAID, etc., bad things can happen for no reason and then it only goes from bad to worse. Trust me on that. So, it's more a cautionary note.

If it's your own personal computer, the damage potential is limited. But if it's a server supporting a company and multiple users, the damage potential grows exponentially and taking advice could lead you down a dangerous path.

It's also for your own good (and other potential posters) who are technical users that you might get fired for taking the initiative and working on a server if things go badly. It's great that you're helping out, but just be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back