Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

x345 installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

frl

Technical User
Jul 28, 2003
US
I am new to installing IBM servers. I ordered x345 and will get it delivered soon. It will have 6 disks (I would like to have 2 mirrored for OS, and 4 in Raid 5e for data).
What is the best practice for installing it?
First configure RAID with ServerRaid CD (I downloaded the latest from IBM site), then use the IBM ServerGuide CD to configure the server and install OS (Windows2000 Server). Also should I update the Bios and Firmware and how?
Thanks!

I generally just use the Server RAID CD to create the RAID sets and then install the OS. After that I generaly use the Serverguide and\or Update express CD along to install the drivers.

There is an issue with firmware compatibility on IBM servers. The issue centres around replacement disks and older versions of array controller firmware.
The problem manifests itself when you put a replacement disk into an array. The array then refuses to rebuild itself, irrespective of what is shown in the ServeRAID Manager! This is not likely to be an issue for you as it is new kit, but I would make sure that you install the latest ServerRaid Manager, RAID Controller driver and the latests firmware for both the controller and disks.

Being that I have installed a few of these lately, I would agree with MrTickle, first though I would update to the latest machine BIOS prior to running ServerRaid since the new BIOS has made a slight change to the RAID environment (see the technote)

Thanks, I installed the disks and Raid arrays without any problems. But I have another problem. IBM delivered me the wrong type of the x345 machine. I ordered 8670-J1X, but they delivered me 8670-MCG. I will have to wait for the proper type for another 2-3 weeks.
My question is:since I will be running Windows 2000&AD Domain controller on this machine, is it possible when they deliver me the new machine, just to place the disks in the new one. I dont want to reinstall everything again.
Thanks!

If the new machine has the same RAID controller, then yes. Just put the drives in the exact location on the new server (i.e. ID0 on the current machine goes into ID0 on the new one, etc), and then tell the RAID controller to read the config from the drives at bootup.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back