Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X1800XT :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

m33sta

Technical User
Mar 8, 2004
GB
Gday people, I received an X1800XT recently and purchased a new motherboard to go with it ( asus p4v800d-x ) put it all together and get no video signal?? does anyone know if this card is compatible with the board?? Ive checked the Asus website but they seem more interested in selling me new products rather than supporting what they have already sold. My specs are Win XP SP2 fully updated, P4 3.0, 2gb Ram, asus p4v800d-x, 400 watt PSU and the infamous x1800xt.

thanks in advance...

If you dont ask you wont get :)
Steve Poole
Technical Analyst
Cinram UK ltd

m33sta
I couldn't find anything suggesting that it isn't compatible and seemingly know reports of problems with this combination.
Interesting motherboard! 8X AGP and PCI-express

My initial thoughts are POWER!
Are all the additional power plugs connected ie: 12V Intel to the top edge of the motherboard and the PCI-e 6pin to the graphics card
Also you say you have a 400watt PSU fitted, is this a quality branded unit or OEM that came with the case? if you are using a PCI-e power adapter cable is it on a seperate power line and not jacked from the HDD's or CDroms (these high powered cards need a seperate line)

Have you tried "bare bones" with just the minimum connected? take out all additional addon cards, just leave one stick of ram, CPU with cooler, graphics and PSU (NO HDD's or Roms) pull off front panel wires clear cmos then start by momentarily touching the power header pins "pwr" with a small flat blade scewdriver.
You should now have POST at least
Have you tried a different graphics card? say a lesser AGP unit just to make sure the motherboard is indeed booting.

Also with a motherboard swap you are best to reinstall Windows as your current setup is configured for your old setup.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

HI paparazi, im hoping its power too.The PSU came with the case so it might not be up to it. I have tried an AGP card and it runs fine. I did do a fresh install. I forgot to mention that there were error beeps when the x1800xt was in place that indicated bad video card. But i removed the card myself from a working system when the guy upgraded to a X1900XTX. So i was a bit dubious as to the error codes. I have a friend who has a
7900gtx that he says i can try in my system and vice versa he can try my card in his system. I am known to be a bit of a nightmare with power so i probably do have everything pluged into one power header pin :) so i will check that,and run the system with the bare esentials. My main worry is buying a new PSU and still wont work, got a few parking tickets last month so didnt really want to fork out for new PSU but hey that may be the resolution. thanks

That all sounds like good proceeedure:
If you can install the X1800XT is your friends PC but it might be just as easy to try your friends power supply in yours instead or as well.
Beep code sounds like video failure and could be the result of not enough power to start the device.
Martin

Thanks for your help, I think i will swallow my pride and get a new PSU anyway, mines a bit noisy and they come in at around 30-50 UK pounds so I will just have to cut down to one bottle of wine a night to afford it!!!!!!

m33sta
Arh! UK member like myself
If you reserve one of these online and then collect from your local PC World they are only £43.99

Trust me, I've used everything from an Enermax Noisetaker to an Antec NeoPower and these Jeantech's are every bit as good but without the fancy paint job and modular cables.
I used one in a high end SLI build (NF4/A64 4400/2Gig XMS/7900GT etc etc) at the weekend, absolutely solid.

Martin

Thanks paparazi, looks like a good PSU and ive got a pcworld 10 mins from me, the only problem now is trying to leave pcworld without the temptation of buying loads of stuff I dont
need, hey my excuse is, and always will be "of course I dont need it but it was shiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back