Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X Window screen resolution prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimgrin

Technical User
Sep 27, 2000
GB
I have installed an old version of Red Hat Linux (5.0) on a spare disk in my PC just to see how easy it is to set up and use. It all looks fine, but I am having a few problems with setting up X. Using Xconfigurator or xf86setup, I can get X to work using the VGA16 server but whatever I do, it sets the screen to 800x600 with a virtual screen of a quarter of the screen. It scrolls round, but nothing I alter in the XF86Config file seems to affect the resolution of this virtual screen.
My PC is a 750Mhz Athlon if that makes a difference, and has a WinFast 16Mb 3d graphics card,
Any help or pointers to more info. greatly appreciated,

Jim.

try pressing control and the plus sign on your number pad together. I think this scrolls through the screen resolutions that are availble. I had the same problem with an install of phat linux and it fixed it. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back