Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X thru modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozkender

Technical User
Aug 1, 2003
AU
In my company we use modems to connect to our customers over a regular telephone line and we get a character based login.

My question is.
Is there any way to do the same and get an xterm or dtterm from the other side instead, of a character based terminal?
The would be great for us, since we have many utilities that run only in graphical mode, but not in text.

Many Thanks

So you are using a simple async connection? Do they have a modem connected to a console server or do you actually get a presence on their network (PPP for example)?

If you have an IP presence, you can use ssh w/X11 forwarding for a secure xterm session. If you don't have an actual address on the network, you are out of luck.

Cheers,
Keith
keith@duffin.org

Our server dials using the modem connectied via the serial
to the customers modem.

The customer modem is plugged in via serial and the server is running a getty on that port.

Is it possible to do it with this sort of configuration?
If it's not, would it be to difficult to use the PPP config you mention.

Many thanks

Which flavor of UNIX is the modem connected to. I'd be happy to help, but it would help cater the response to the particular OS.

Cheers,
Keith
keith@duffin.org

The Modems are connected to a cisco terminal server and we use them from an AIX and a Solaris box.

An explanation for solaris would be more than enough.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back