Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X-terminal and CDE - help urgently needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosuc

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
DE
Hi ,

I have a problem for which I couldn't find the solution
yet.

I run HP-UX 11.00 on a D220 with a Text-Console.

I run a X-Terminal Software on a Linux Box, from which I want to connect to a HP-UX Server (D220 with Text-Console Terminal). I can see the CDE-Loginbox exactly the same way
as on a grafic Monitor-Console directly connected to a HP-Box (same Color, background and font).
But after logging in, I just get a poor window without a frame or a slide-bar. There is also no background color
and no CDE-Desktop. (Just the grey root-window)
In order to get the X-Terminal working properly, I already installed a fontserver, because before that, the
dtgreet (CDE-Loginbox) was missing the fonts needed.

So my question is, what the h... must I do to get the
complete CDE-Desktopenvironment on my remote Linux-Xterminal?

As I need the X-Terminal urgently, any help is very much apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Fred

I had done this on PC. I have never done it on Linux.

On PC I have install Exceed Xemulator to bring CDE on PC.
You might want to check if you need any extra application on your Linux box.

Patel

I can think of two possibilities:
1) Bad reverse host name lookup. Both ends need to know the hostname / IP address of the other, and they need to agree, else one end drops away. If you are using /etc/hosts files, make sure that each has itself and the other correctly entered.

2) Maybe you need to do an 'xhosts +remotehosname' on the HP-UX box, inserting the name of your Linux system for 'remotehostname'

Do you have a windows manager running ? E.g mwm , twm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back