Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X server -- Debian Woodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anto35

Technical User
May 16, 2002
FR
Hi,
I recently install Linux (Debian Woodie 3.0) on my computer but I 've got a porblem with the X server. It crash when I try to run it (I use the startX command) and I get the following message:"Can't find an usable screen!"
So I need some help or links to some documentation to solve this problem.
Thanx, Anto.

You may have the wrong driver selected for your video card. The /var/XF86.0.log should have an (EE) in it if the driver has a problem. If you have kde installed kxconfig is a good utility for setting up a new driver. If not you will need to find out what Debian comes with for this. You can also try xf86cfg, and as a last resort xf86config. If you have a newer NVIDIA video card, has drivers available for Linux that you may want to install. They have instruction on the site for installing it. Hope this helps.

There is no (EE) for the video card in the /var/XF86.0.log file, I think that I use the right driver (My video card is recognize). But apm can't be launched and The server found screen but none have an usable configuration, even if I am in the 800*600 mode.

You may also have the wrong monitor selected in your config. Just a thought.

A quick way to reconfigure/retry all this with Debian is to use:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure <packagename>
In your case, packagename might be xfree86-server. Older v3.x.x of XFree86 in Debian were named xfree86-svga, etc after each different server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back