Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X domain administration (issue / head ache)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2008
US
I manage two domains

bank.x.x.com
and
sterling.x.x.com

When I go into AD (in the sterling side) and then right click onto AD users and computers and select what domain I want to manage I BOTH domains are accessable.... However, I go into the BANK domain (and to the following path) I can manage the local domain but not the STERLING domain...

I've verified the following:
my trusts are correct....
SYSVOL on BOTH domain (on promary DCs) are both shared out....

I and leaning towards this being a permissions issue, but in all honesty I know I have this working correctly.... As of last week things were working fine.... today forget it... the BANK domain you cannot manage the sterling side...

Note: users CAN access shares via cross domains.... this is just for the domain admins in the BANK site to manage the STERLING side w/out having to RDC into the STERLING DC and admin AD....

Note: this is the error you get when you try to connect to the STERLING domain via AD when in the BANK domain...

"The domain Sterling.x.x.com could not be found because:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted....

thoughts?

Please advise

thanks
Brett

Sounds like it could be a DNS problem.

Can you ping a DC on the sterling domain using it's fqdn from a machine on the bank domain??

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCTS:Active Directory
MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Last week I was mucking w/ dns on the bank domain, I have two dns server (main server) and a secondary server....

All I did was made all forward look up zones in the secomdary dns server "secondary dns servers" which would reference the main server dns forwsrd look up zones. That's it.... Corect me if wrong this is caching dns only.

resolved it.... it was DNS..... I made the 2nd domain a secondary dns caching server, put it back to aD integrated... works now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back