Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X.25 tests between HPUX and AIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
BR
Hello.
This is Jeffo.

I´d like to know if someone around has experimented with X.25 NPI/DLPI/COMIO programming or anything similar. I am trying to set up a client/server routine (or maybe a PROBE or something?) that I could use to test and validate connections between two different OSs: HP-UX and AIX

I´ve been trying to make the sample codes inside AIX but couldn´t make them work. Anyway, they will only work within the AIX OS, and I´d need to stablish conversation between the two platforms, over a X.25 cloud, only for testing purposes.

Any help or source or information would be great.

Thanks.

There are some commands on HP-UX which you can use to test connectivity.
x25check(1M) - test connectivity between local and remote X.25 nodes
x25ifstate(1M) - returns the status of an X.25 link
x25init(1M) - configures and initializes an X.25 interface
x25ping(1M) - checks connectivity to a host via X.25
x25server(1M) - test connectivity between local and remote X.25 nodes

Best regards

Hello.

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately those commands won´t work if issued against an AIX machine, that´s the point....I was in needing of finding something that would validate connections between a HP-UX and an AIX system...

[ ]s,
Jeffo.

I find it very strange that these commands won't work against another Machine other than HP.
X25 is a standard, and as such should be the same accross the board.
Are you sure they don't work? The HP does not know that it is connecting to an AIX server and the AIX server does not know that it is an HP connecting to it.
What error messages do you get when performing say x25ping?
Best regards

Hello.

For example, for X25ping to work, it must have a IP to X121 mapped address, right? So that the stream goes like "tunneling" tcp/ip thru X.25...and that´s not my case...

For the X25check command to work, there must be a X25server running on the other side....and if the other side is an AIX server, the application won´t talk. BTW, AIX uses the X25talk command, which ONLY talks to another AIX using X25talk also...

x25ifstate only tests the local status of the X.25 interface.

x25init configures/starts the X.25
x25server is the server side for the x25check.

As u can see, it´s kinda impossible to really test connectivity between and HP-UX and an AIX platform....

The only hope, I guess, was to build some small app in C for testing that, either using NPI or some other API....the problem is that my programming skills are bad lately... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back