Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wyse 2500T gets TCP/IP Error 13 when connection to server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcsinc

ISP
Sep 25, 2000
US
I'm running a stand-alone server NT 4.0 TSE SP6 with Citrix Metaframe 1.8 SP3 and all hot fixes. I have a Win98 client that connects using a rdp-tcp connection and 5 ica serial connections with wyse 2500 winterms, (converting to tcp/ip). I also have a print server working fine. I have a linksys router and switch. Although, I did bypass the router to diagnose the problem. All are using static IP's. I'm trying to connect Wyse 2500T winterms to my server using ica-tcp connections.

The winterms have the latest firmware 1.64j and the connection is configured as 10Base-T with my server IP for the TCP/IP server name. For the winterm Network configuration, DHCP is disabled and I have a static IP and my servers subnet mask, no gateway, and DNS is disabled. I do not have a Host set up or an IP for master browser.

Now my problem, with the above configuration, I do get spuratic connections. Although, I did not test them for any long period of time the connection did work fine. When it wasn't working, it would not connect with a "TCP/IP error 13 timeout" error. This would happen more than not. I tried everything, enableing DHCP and DNS, adding a HOST address and just about every other configuration you could imagine. Then I started looking at the server, set the NIC at a fixed 10Mbps, half duplex and what ever else I could do without effecting the other hardware. This is happening with 15 duplicate winterms. I've tried different cables and points, same thing. I can't help feeling this is just a registry hack or maybe a TSE license issue. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm hoping someone else has had and resolved the same issue.
Thanks in advance!
Jim

Is the range of IP addresses you're assigning the Winterms in the same range as the server IP? If hang a PC from the same cable as a WinTerm that is not connecting, does it connect? What is the difference in the IP stack configuration if it does?

I hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

To answer the above questions. Yes the IP is a valid IP. Yes a PC will connect to the same cable using the exact same config. No differences with the IP config.

I've read of similar problems on other forums dated around late 2000 early 2001. But no postings of any resolution. It seems to be something with the way the wyse firmware is communicating with the server. I can't think of any other way to config the winterm to get it to talk to the server.

I'm researching on how the winterm sets up a tcp/ip connection with the server to see if there's anything I can do to the registry to get it to notice the winterm.

BTW, thanks for your prompt responce.

Jim

Can you check the server for any event log entries?

Is this the complete error message? TCP/IP Error 13 (0xd) - Time-out.
before the connection is completed?

Here is an excerpt from a wyse winterm administrator's manual...

1 Ensure that the hardware and cabling between
the terminal and the applications server is
connected and functioning properly.
2 Ensure that the correct Windows NT
application server’s IP address is entered in the
Server Name field in the Connection Properties
dialog box.
3 If DHCP is disabled, ensure that a valid IP
address is entered in the IP Address field in the
Networks dialog box.
4 If DHCP is enabled, ensure that the DHCP
server is properly configured and running.
5 If the problem persists, there may be excessive
traffic on the network. Ask your network
administrator to verify that this is not the case.

Thanks lilone,

I did check for events, there were none.

Yes, that is the error message and no connection is made.

I do have the same excerpt from wyse and followed per instructions. I hope someone who has these terminals in their network can tell us how they have them configured.

Is tcp/ip the only protocol running? From the same subnet as the wyse clients, have you run netmon from another client going back to the mf server to see what's going on in the network? what happens if you put some of the clients on the same switch as the mf servers? What port are you using? 1494 or 80.(NFuse?)

Yes, tcp/ip is the only protocol. This is a stand-alone server, one subnet. Netmon doesn't show much information. Other clients work fine on the same switch using rdp and ica tcp/ip. I'm using port 1494, no NFUSE.

there is another posting along the same lines as yours and they say that they contacted wyse and found out that the ica client on the 2500t were not fully compatible with mf1.8 sp3. as they are discontinued item, they haven't done any testing with them.

You may be able to contact wyse just to see if you can get a newer ica client package from them to flash onto the devices. Let me know what they say in regards to that.

Anyone out there using wyse 2500t winterms in ther network?

If so, please let me know what O/S and what version of Citrix you are using!

Thanks in advance,

Jim

In order to get these terminals to work, I had to connect them to a hub instead of an auto-sensing switch. The switchs I've previously mentioned will not negotiate with these terminals. There may be auto-negotiating swithces avaiable that may work but the ones I have don't. Also, a switch that may be manually set to 10Mbps half duplex will also work.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Jim

Since I'm only familiar with the 3000 series and later, this is a good tip for anyone using older devices. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back