Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WWWPublishing Service Not Starting (Win2000) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atchett

Programmer
Dec 7, 2000
Hi,

I have just upgraded my PC to win2000 Pro. I am now trying to use it as a personal web server which I was doing with win 95. IIS5 seems to be installing OK but I am having a great deal of trouble in starting the service. The error message that I get is :-

Error 1747: The authentication service is unknown

I have tried fiddling with user accounts etc but with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Hi!
Try these steps.

1.Right-click My Network Places and click Properties.

2. Right-click Local Area Connection and click Properties.

3. Clear the Client for Microsoft Networks check box.

Click OK.

The Client for Microsoft Networks is now disabled. IIS 5.0 will run properly in this configuration.

Hope this will help iis_guru@yahoo.com

Hi itguru,

I have tried your suggestion but I have no Local Area Connection under My Network Places. Therefore I cannot uncheck the Client for Microsoft Networks checkbox.

I have no network card etc in the PC (it is a fairly old machine - about 2 years) but PWS ran perfectly under Win 95.

Do you have any other suggestions? Are there any other components that I need to install?

Many thanks,

Hi!

Got your point :)
By default, the Client for Microsoft Networks option is only installed when an NIC is installed on the Windows 2000 computer. When only a modem is installed, no adaptor, except for the corresponding PPP adaptor, is installed.

For the IIS services to start and be enabled, the Client for Microsoft Networks option must be installed.

To do this, follow these steps:

1.In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.

2.Click Next to start the wizard.

3.Click Add/Troubleshoot a Device.

4.Click Add a New Device (Default Selection).

5.Click No, I want to select the hardware from the list.

6.Click Network Adapters.

7.In the Manufacturers field, choose Microsoft, and for Network Adapter, choose Microsoft Loopback Adaptor.

By default, Windows 2000 installs the adaptor with the default settings, which include the Client for Microsoft Networks and TCP\IP. If you don't require the Client for Microsoft Networks, it is best to disable it. To do so, follow these steps:

1.Right-click My Network Places, and then click Properties.

2.Right-click Local Area Connection and then click Properties.

3.Click to clear the Client for Microsoft Networks check box.

4.Click OK.

The Client for Microsoft Networks option is now disabled. IIS 5.0 runs properly in this configuration.

When you have completed these steps, attempt to start the Web services again and they will successfully start. You can start these services with the following command:
iisreset /start
Hope this will help.
iis_guru@yahoo.com

I was wondering where I could find a Technical Brief about the Microsoft Internet Information Server?

Hi itguru,

Thanks for your help on this. The solution that you suggested did'nt work I'm afraid. I installed the Microsoft Loopback Adapter (it didn't give me the option to install the Client for Microsoft Networks?) and everything seemed to be OK. I made sure that the Client for Microsoft Networks was disabled (as mentioned above not installed).

I then tried to restart IIS with the command that you suggested and the result was an error IIS Admin failed?

I then tried to restart the service and I got the same error :

Error 1747: The authentication service is unknown

PS Abrad try the microsoft website!

Any more suggestions?

Many thanks,

Hi!

it was the solution for your problem but if it is not working with client for microsoft network then problem is in your operating system i suggest you to reinstall the windows 2K , I hope this will help. iis_guru@yahoo.com

Hi itguru,

Thought I would let you know!

I have finally sorted this problem. I did as you suggested and reinstalled win 2k. This didn't solve the problem. I then re-read your suggestions a couple of times. I then tried to add the Client for Microsoft Networks (which I believe you suggested in the first place!) but I left the checkbox checked. I then re-installed IIS. No luck. Reboot. Re-install IIS again. Fine. All is now working. Once again thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back