Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wuser2 caused a general protection fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weezie62

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
I have a user on a Windows95 PC. We are also on a Novell network, using client version 3.40. After the Novell logon screen, he gets the message, "WUSER2 caused a general protection fault in mmsystem.dll." I did a search on the c:\drive for wuser2.dll and could not find it. He can still work, but this error is annoying. Any ideas?

Why wuser2.dll and not .exe or better still wuser2.*
Search the REG too
Start / Run REGEDIT

mmsystem.dll = multimedia system
there are entries in System.ini referring to this...
Start / Run MSinfo32 (if even available on 95)
Software environment / Running Tasks

Start / Run SYSEDIT
to get at the system.ini and major config files..be careful editing these, if you decide to

MMtask.tsk is Multi-media Background Task support on 98..may be related??

DirectX or WMP problem???

just some avenues to look down

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Why not reload mmsystem.dll either from a dll site on the net or from your Win 95 disc. It is loaded in your C:/Windows/System file. mmsystem may be corrupted........Dave

Also..Do a google on wuser2 there are SystemManagement Console? (SMC) probs listed and fixes, in case that's specific to your situation.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back