Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WTF please help with website...

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxervio

Technical User
Dec 28, 2002
US
Ok i can't figure out wtf is going on with my website. I woke up this morning to my computer being off. i restarted it and it's working but now my website won't work at all. i host everything off my computer with apache and all the latest software. i run 5-6 message baords also from here and they don't work. nothing works. according to the DNS server (NO-IP) and my domain register place everything is working fine. My IP address has not changed and apche is running fine in the background along with Mysql. Can anyone figure out any remote possiblility why my website is not working???

It would be inappropriate to take this discussion out of the forum. A valuable function of the fora in Tek-Tips is to provide a knowledge base for others.

Your FQDN is resolving to an address. Is it the correct one? I just want to make sure that we're all trying to get to the right machine here.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

well i uninstalled apache after backing up my website. i reinstalled the current version and i still don't even get the apache webpage that first loads when you install it. still says cn't find the page. i am thinking some thing else is wrong.

i'm thinking my ISP is blocking something. What is this 127.0.0.1 do??

127.0.0.1 is on of the special IP addresses. It is the localhost address -- it always refers to the current local machine.

Whether blocking by your ISP is a factor depends on the addressing scheme of your local network. Does your local network use routable or nonroutable addresses? (Nonroutable addresses are in the ranges of: 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x)

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

well i figured it out, i called the cable company and they are blocking port 80. is there a link or a way to change to another port?

i tried that and even installing it for 8080 but i can't get it to run

Have you tried hitting it locally? using the suggestion I gave above? That will confirm that the server is actually running. The other suggestion I have it keep trying ports. You might have to suck it up and buy space on another server. ISPs for whatever reason don't like you to use the bandwidth you are paying for.

iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]
See my progress to converting to linux.

If the cable company is blocking on port 80 most likely they are blocking both ports 80 and 8080.. would only make sense.. I think you need to figure out why the cable company is blocking the ports ,, in my honest opinion they should not be. The only other thing I can think of before I run would be set up apache to listen on some arbitrary port and for the time being access the http with the :<new port> directive. If that works only those who know the new port would be able to access it however it is a start.

Why would blocking port 8080 make sense if they are blocking port 80?

Ok good point.. :) Sounded good though running out the door :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back