Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WSUS Prompting for Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl03

MIS
Jun 13, 2005
US
I just upgraded to WSUS from SUS. I set the option to prompt for a reboot every 30 minutes. (Auto-reboot is disabled). Instead of prompting every 30 minutes, it leaves the restart box with 2 buttons: Restart Now, Restart Later. The restart later option is grayed out, and the box stays on top of all other windows, with no way to close it (unless you reboot). How do i give users an option to reboot later?

Thanks,
Andrew

I think the answer would normally be group policy. Setup group policy to handle the WUAU settings on your workstations.

Oh - we already use GPO's to dictate these settings

Thanks,
Andrew

Ok, so do you dictate the restart option in GPO? Are you sure that this machine getting the GPO?

We dictate to re-prompt to reboot every 30 minutes, but the box just pops up to restart, and doesnt allow the "ask later" option...

Thanks,
Andrew

How do you have these GPO settings setup for the WUAU:

- No auto-restart for scheduled....

- Delay restart for scheduled installations

- Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations..

djtech2k:

No auto restart.....enabled
delay restart.....not configured
re-prompt for restart.....30 minutes

THe end result is automatic download and installation of updates, and a window to pop up every 30 minutes with the "ask later" option enabled telling the user to reboot.

I read an article stating that the following policy:
"Allow non-administrators to receive upgrade...."
needs to be enabled to allow the
"ask later" button. I gave that a shot and will let you know how it works out (though since all our users are admins, it shouldn't matter).

Thanks.

Thanks,
Andrew

Ok, since you have the no auto-restart enabled, this will apply:

"If the status is set to Enabled, Automatic Updates will not restart a computer automatically during a scheduled installation if a user is logged in to the computer. Instead, Automatic Updates will notify the user to restart the computer."

There is your problem.

But how do I get them to get the "ask later" button enabled, but NOT automatically restart their machines?

Thanks,
Andrew

We currently have WSUS rolled out and I have the functionality you are looking for working. With only a few exceptions all my users are "Restricted Users", only a few people are admins to their PC.

Here are my GPO settings for Windows Updates:

Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications: Enabled
Configure Automatic Updates: Enabled
Configure automatic updating: 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
Scheduled install day: 0 - Every day
Scheduled install time: 12:00
No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations: Enabled
Specify intranet Microsoft update service location: Enabled
Set the intranet update service for detecting updates: Set the intranet statistics server:
Hope this helps,

Matt Laski
Web & Systems Support
Pulsafeeder Inc.

Does this allow your users to select updates NOT to install? Or does it force them to install, just enables the "restart later" button?

Thanks,
Andrew

It forces them to install daily at noon, but it allows them to click the "Restart Later" button as much as they would like, but still annoys them every 15 minutes.

Matt Laski
Web & Systems Support
Pulsafeeder Inc.

But they don't get the option of not installign them, right?

The only options i have enabled that you don't are these:
Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations
Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation

Everything else is exactly the same. Even the 12:00 time is the same, though i have the Re-prompt for restart set to 30 minutes.

I guess i should try making the 2 settings above "not configured", though why would they make the "restart later" button grayed out?

Thanks,
Andrew

Thats correct, they dont have the option of postponing the install ... WSUS installs any updates that are pending at noon.

I've never used the two options you mentioned so I am not sure if they would help. Probably couldnt hurt to try turning them off to see what happens.

Matt Laski
Web & Systems Support
Pulsafeeder Inc.

Just tried...we'll see what happens the next time a machine needs updates...

Do you have the "prompt for restart" option enabled?

Thanks,
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back