Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WSUS Password?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2003
US
I've justed upgraded from SUS to WSUS. Is there any way to set a password on WSUS? I'd hate for one of my users to find it and start approving/declining updates.

First, I will presume that you are a domain admin.
1. You may want to set the ntfs permissions on your WSUS administration virtual directory to allow only Domain Admins(In ISM, right click the virtual directory for WSUS Admin and select 'properties', click on the Virtual Directory tab. The directory to secure is listed in the 'Local path:' textbox.)
2. In ISM, in the same virtual directory properties display, click on the 'Directory Security' tab, in the 'Authentication and access control' section, click the 'edit' button, and uncheck the 'Enable anonymous access' checkbox. Ensure the 'Integrated Windows authentication' checkbox is checked in the 'Authenticated access' section.
3. Click OK on each of the open dialog boxes, and attempt to run your admin page. I recommend that you test this with your (Admin) user and a test user (with only regular user rights).

That should pretty well eliminate the possibility of someone unauthorized accessing your WSUS Admin page and modifying your Approved/Disapproved updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back