Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WSUS on a non domain server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkchopexpress

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2005
GB
I have a Win2k3 domain with about 400 clients and am wanting to use WSUS to update them.

I have two options of server for it too go on, one is a Win2k3 member server with IIS installed and is also a print server (Spec P3 1Ghz, 1Gig memory).

The other option is a Win2k server that isn't a member of the domain it is only used for doc archiving and collecting video from our IP cameras (Spec 2x P3 1Ghz, 1 Gig memory).

Can i install WSUS on a non domain member and will there be any issues with it not been a member of the domain?

If the answer is yes would you pick this box?

Thanks.

Not certain about the release version but in my testing of the WSUS beta it had to be a member of the domain.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I'll look into adding it to the domain then, i just didn't want too if it wasn't necessary.

Thanks.

You shouldn't have a problem using a non-domain server. As long as you use your group policy settings on the domain to point to the non-domain server's IP or Hostname for windows updates it won't matter whether or not it's on the domain. I currently have no domain at all and had to manually set up every client's group policy, but it works without any problem once the clients are set up.

The GP is located at: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
Then enable the policy "Specify intranet Microsoft update service location" and enter your server's IP or Hostname (I prefer IP) for both boxes.

Cheers guys, i'm building a test box so when i know i'll post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back