Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WSUS configuration question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

windowsfan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2007
US
On Status of Download on WSUS Home Page it says
Updates needing files: 131
downloading 243Mb/402Mb:
What is it downloading?
I have configured it to synchronize to MS Update site at 9:40Pm everyday
and
Clients are configured for downlaod and install at 3Am

Its downloading the updates you approved. When it syncs it just gets a list of new updates, it doesnt download them to the server for distribution until you approve them.

RoadKi11

Thanks for the reply Roadki11

It was downloading during work hours, does it use lot of bandwidth or BITS will take care of it.

Can we schedule to downloand off hours and not during working hours?

If I approve the install it will download to WSUS server, what If I change the approval to detect only later on, will it delete from the server and download again after I approve it?

I dont think it uses BITS to download the updates from MS to the WSUS server but i could be wrong. BITS is used for distribution from the WSUS server to the clients that i do know. It downloads the updates as soon as you approve them so if you want it done after hours you will have to approve them after hours. Once they are downloaded they are keep on the WSUS server until you do a purge, i saw a doc on that somewhere but i dont have it handy. So if you change the update from approved to detect only it will retain the update on the hard drive.

RoadKi11

I have some updates which are marked declined as they are expired, how can I purge them or remove them?

Thats for declining but how can you remove (purge) so that it dont even show up.
does decline updates (which are expired)get purged automatically after certain amount of time

Roadki11,
I tried to decline and purge files on WSUS but, its not working. No error but, it does not clear the database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back