Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WSUS Client update - manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshmorker

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2005
AU
Hi
I have SBS2003 with wsus (no sp1) and i need to find a way to manually installed required updates on some client pc's
I have run wuauclt.exe /detectnow from cmd promt and reviewed the windowsupadte log file.
from server the pc is allready detected .

Any ideas

nmorker
system eng

I am not clear on your question here. Are you saying that you have ran the detectnow and updates are not installed that are waiting deployment in WSUS?

I would recommend upgrading to SP1 to ensure you have not stumbled upon a bug that was fixed in the product. Since it is free there is little reason not to do so.

Make sure that in WSUS you have actually approved the updates. Just because they have been downloaded to the WSUS server does not mena they will be deployed unless you have set to auto-approve updates.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

You could approve an update for a machine and set a deadline for the update to install. However, I don't know of any way to command an update to install NOW via WSUS. That'd sure be nice, though!

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

hi,
not sure of upgrading to sp1 as it does not seem to upgrade on sbs server (i think it is not yet compatible and some how terminal services affect upgrade proces)
I need to approve only for single pc on the network.. how can this be done? wsus has allready detected critical updates but i need to push this to the pc?

nmorker

Sorry i meant WSUS SP1 for sbs, the current sbs server allready has sp1

figured out why wsus sp1 was not finishing- antivirus engine / relatime had to be disabled. That sorted the WSUS SP1

q's still remain for manually updating few clients.

and how to include office updates?

nmorker

When you say manually update clients do you mean that you want to be able to jump on the PC and go Start - Windows Updates and have it pull down updates that way?

To include office updates go to the WSUS admin page - Options - Sync Options, from there under Products and Classifications you can change the products that WSUS pulls down updates for.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain

To update clients manually i.e from either pc end, run any command base commands, i have tried wuaclt.exe / detectnow . Office updates is fixed.

wuauclt /detectnow, will not install updates. This will prompt the client to "check in" with the WSUS server. Unless you approve the updates in some way, either automatically by configuration or manually by choosing to install updates, nothing will be installed.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

My initial q's to manually install ms updates. I do not want to approve any updates as this will install on all computers on network. I require to update only some new computers. Any suggestion to run on client end i.e windows update and instead of downloading from Microsoft server, download from WSUS server????
nmorker

As monsterjta and I have both stated, the way WSUS works is you either configure it to auto-approve updates or you must manually select and approve which updates the WSUS server will deploy.

Through the use of groups you can limit specific patches to specific groups of machines.

You can also manually go to the Microsoft download web site and download specific updates if you know the KB article numbers.

I am confused why you are using WSUS if you don't intend to approve updates. WSUS takes the place of Windows Update by downloading the Windows Update catalog locally and allowing your computers to access the updates (that you approve) locally rather than all machines using costly Internet bandwidth. Do you have some other preconceived notions about what WSUS is supposed to offer you? Beyond some basic reporting capabilities, the product does not do more than what I have described.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back