Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WSUS 3.0 updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuvolari

Technical User
Apr 18, 2003
US
I did not see a forum for WSUS 3.0 so I though I would give this a shot. I am trying to patch a few servers using WSUS, on WSUS I see that a specific application server needs 9 patches but when I go to the server and go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com it shows that the server needs 13 updates. I made sure that the WSUS server had the 4 patches missing downloaded and available but still WSUS does not recognize that the server needs these patches. Any ideas why this is?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Specifics might help, but sometimes one update superseeds another.

For example,
MS08-052 - GDI+ Vunerability could allow remote code execution
Two KB's apply...
kb954593
kb938464
... but only the most recent one is actually required.

The other thing is how WSUS is configured. Updates have to be approved for detection (ver 3.0 is a little different than 2.x for this, but the concept is still the same). Also, WSUS may be configured to only apply security patches and updates, but not drivers. And one of the "patches" you are applying is a driver.

The WindowsUpdate service provided at the Micro$oft site will not have any of the rules applied.

Hope this helps
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back