Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WSS 3.0 with Exchange & Project server-Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2005
US
We will be building our first SharePoint service 3.0 server. Some of our staff feels we need to install Exchange (2003) and Project Server with our SharePoint 3.0. I was wondering what the advantage of having both Exchange and Project Server work with SharePoint. It seems that all of that functionality is already in SharePoint. I could really use some info on why it is a good idea to have all 3 working together or what SharePoint lacks that the other 2 programs will provide.

Thank you in advance!

it really depends on why you're wanting to implement wssv3 in the first place. wssv3 is not a full on project management suite, and you'll need exchange if you don't have an email server to deliver messages generated from sharepoint/project.

Hi wolvie3421,

We are a small organization with a lot of clients. We want to be able to of course share documents and track changes to them but also track projects that we are working on, share client contacts - where we just have to enter the contact information in one place (our outlook on our own PC maybe) and it is shared for everyone, issue tracking with the ability to search all documents & emails for relevant information and simply just make working together a more informed environment. We do have SMTP servers that can send email and from what I have read, SharePoint will accept email if sent to something configured to accept email like a project folder to a task.

I really want to be sure we can do all that and if we need to install Exchange or Project Server, we can but why if we don't need to.

Thank you again!

Sorry for the lagged reply. I don't come by here too often. From what you've said, I think you can do without Exchange or Project Server for simple document management & collaboration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back