Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wspsrv.exe high cpu load on ISA 2004 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITfromZX81

Programmer
May 18, 2004
CA
I have recently installed ISA Server 2004 on a Windows 2000 Server.

As far as I know, everything is setup correctly - internet and email work fine when it is working.

The problem is that 5 to 10 minutes after the ISA Server boots, it slows right down and wspsrv.exe shows as having 99% cpu time(this varies slightly but always 89% to 99%).

At that point web browsing and email stop functioning.

I have checked for a virus and cannot locate one, I have ran a network sniffer to see if anything is bombarding the ISA server with data - nothing I can find.

It seemed to work fine for several hours yesterday but now it only works for a few minutes before stalling.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

- Mike

Seems that I solved my own problem.

We have McAfee SecuritySheild on our ISA Server.

A patch for it has a fix for the wspsvr high cpu usage problem. See McAfee's website for the patch. This fixed the problem.

Note that I had to disable the Microsoft Firewall service and reboot the ISA server before I could update the computer because it was so slow - I also had to use a USB drive to sneakernet the patch after downloading it from a computer that had a direct connection to the internet. I then applied the patch and then enabled and restarted the Microsoft Firewall.

Hopefully my experience will be helpful to others out there who had the same issue.

A little trick I use when a process runs away like that...right click on it in task manager and set it's priority to low. That will free up the other processes making the computer usuable while you troubleshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back