Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WS5A Error loading operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2023
US
Hi, I need some help. I bought WS5A from ebay and it was fully erased.
I've tried to clone internal 514MB USB using clonezilla from different working WS but it didn't' work.
Then I've got my hands on RC2.3 GR2-2.2 package with all system files including BIOS update.
I've updated BIOS. Updated OS using NK from the Package. Used BIOS ODM to reset WINCE to factory settings.
Format USB and copied all files to the specific partitions: 1) NK.bin UDOC.id 2) all files from DOC + NK.bin + UDOC2.id. 3) everything from DOC folder.
Ordered another internal usb and did all the same procedures from above.
Multiple WinCE factory resets, switched RAM, but at the end of the day Error loading operating system.
I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong when copying files to internal USB because when I'm using USB from working workstation it's booting and working.
What I'm missing?

Thank you

Remove the CF (CompactFlash) Card
Format it on a computer. FAT
copy nk.bin to the cf
insert the cf card again to the ws5a
turn the ws5a on
the workstation should update the system to the USB-DOM itself.

Remove the CF and delete the nk.bin..

Hi POSKitchen and thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, I did it in multiple different occasions and it didn't work.
I did it after cloning with conezilla, after just copying files from external drive to internal USB, after BIOS update, after WinCE Factory recovery.
And all the procedures like BIOS update to Q2012F, updating operating system by copying NK.bin to root of clean formatted CF, firmware recovery from BIOS/ODM/WinCE factory recovery are run with no errors.
But at the end no matter what I do ends by Error loading operating system.
My BIOS is Q2012F and I'm using files from two different sources 1)working WS5A and 2)RC2.3 GR2-2.2 package that was provided to me from one of the user in this forum.
I was suspecting maybe versions of the file is the issue or corrupted files in RC2.3 GR2-2.2 but I think this should be ruled out by using files from working machine.
How would you flash internal USB if it was completely empty and you have all the files?
Maybe the issue is in Clonezilla or the way I'm copying the files?
I've checked and CF and internal usb format and partitions are the same as working WS.

So the issue was in Clonezilla I've used Ghost and it fixed the issues.

I was trying to use Clonezilla in Expert mode and using different options but in never worked for me.

Ghost did it without any issues.

It must have something to do with MBR and WINDOWS CE bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back