Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WS4 CAL Installation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pachait

Technical User
Jun 30, 2010
US
Hello to all, this is my 1st post and i hope that experts here are able to help.

I am still quite new to the ins and outs of Micros, so i did something that i am now regretting. I have a 9700 server environment mixed w/ WS4 & Eclipses. This is regarding a WS4 and the fact it was constantly freezing, so i figured i could reinstall the CAL.
I got into the windows CE screen and I deleted files from the DOC folder assuming i could import files from a USB flash drive and copy them back in. I now have discovered that i am unable to do so or am unable to figure out how to.

So i am basically asking how do i reinstall the client software on a WS4 in a 9700 server environment. I would read the manual but have had no luck in finding one online. thanks to all who provide feedback and help, IT IS SUPER APPRECIATED!!

someone please lend a hand on this one ... still unable to load the install files on to the terminal. Thanks!

you deleted the contents of the DOC folder.
Thats not good.

The CF drive is where micros is installed. DOC contains the software to install micros and lots of other stuff.

You might have ftp enabled on the workstation. try and connect to it via ftp. If this works you can transfer the files back onto it if you have them somewhere else.

The DOC drive is memory which is built into the workstation and is not on the flash card.

Thanks so much for replying & letting me know that my assumption was correct, I did real bad. Also your suggestion is one I never thought of & I hope maybe I can approach it that way and connect via ftp. I know the server has client install files.Is there anyway to do a hardware flash, by that I mean a type of norton ghost & copy one device drive to another?
Thanks again for your help & direction, its exciting to have a bit of hope on saving this terminal.

Im sure there is some way to flash the hardware but im not aware of how its done.

If ftp does not work what you could try doing is on another workstation copy the contents of the DOC folder onto the CF Drive.
Then you can take a compact flash card out of the workstation and put it into the broken workstation. Then copy the files off the CF drive and onto the DOC folder.

It's easy don't panic. Get a USB flash drive and a PS2 mouse and copy the DOC folder to the Flash drive and then put it in the bad WS and copy paste. You have to restart after you plug in the flash and mouse before it recognizes it. Just treat it like a PC and go to explorer.

I will try that tomorrow, i originally tried that, but didnt load the flash drive on it while it was booting, maybe that is where i failed. Thanks for the suggestion, going to try that tomorrow.

To restore to factory settings do the following:

Factory Restore
The procedure to initiate the Factory Restore feature can be found below.
WARNING:
Factory Restore deletes all files from the Compact Flash Card. If required, take steps to preserve files on the CF card before running Factory Restore.
1. Connect a Keyboard to the workstation, and power-up.
2. When the Blue BIOS splash screen appears, press the key combination [ALT-M]. Note: some keyboards do not initalize in time to detect this key combination. As an alternative, you can press [Del] to enter BIOS Setup, select the Features Configuration screen, and set the
WIN_CE_FACTORY_RESTORE field to ‘Enabled.’ Press [ESC] to continue.
• The screen prompts for the system password.
3. If you have not changed the default system password, enter ‘Hmlton’ (case sensitive) and press enter. Press ‘Y’ to confirm.
• The screen returns to the Setup Main Menu.
4. Select ‘Write to CMOS and Exit’ and press enter. Press ‘Y’ to confirm.
• The unit restarts and prompts ‘Factory Restore in Progress - Please
Wait.’
5. When the process is complete, the unit restarts.
The workstation is now running the operating system and platform files that were originally stored in the hidden factory restore partition. Over time, some files may become out-of-date. However since the purpose of Factory Restore is to repair a workstation that will not boot, the unit
can now be pointed to a properly configured application server running the CAL where it will receive available platform updates and the application software.

If you need platform and engine upgrades...

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back