Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRT54G - Wireless G Router: Cannot Ping, Not Functioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamlegend

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2003
US
Very strange and sudden problem here. My WRT54G router just completely stopped working after functioning perfectly for months. I have tried the full reset of the device, and I know that it is still broadcasting an SSID, because my PowerBook picks up the "linksys" default name. I cannot access the router at 192.168.1.1--no login happens, no activity whatsoever. The system was working with DHCP across the board--no static routes to speak of. As I said, no changes were made, and this happened when there was virtually no one on the system. My DSL connection is still functioning, as I can bypass the router and still connect it directly with success. I suspect that the router has physically failed, but does anyone else have any ideas?

Bcaster-

Does this seem like the only solution? Any ideas re troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks in advance,
DR

dr,
try to see if you can ping the 192.168.1.1...eventhough u can not access...just try and see if you can ping it first..

[ponytail]

"imagination is more important than knowledge."

Forgot to add that in my first post. I tried to ping it several times without success. Got an "host unreachable" message each time.

Assuming you did the loooong reset which would, after a poweroff/on cycle restore the factory defaults, if the WRT54G will not respond to a ping, and does not function as a router, and its setup pages are inaccessible at 192.168.1.1, I would return it.

Thanks for the input. I have returned the router and replaced it with a different model. Fingers crossed on this one.

DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back