Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRT54G/GS, WRE54G, and Sveasoft 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

niespodj

Programmer
Aug 18, 2003
US
I recently purchased a WRT54GS router & the WRE54G range expander. I've been having problems getting the RE to work (a separate issue), and in researching the problem here I came across several great threads that talked about upgrading the router firmware via Sveasoft.

My question: if I purchase the Sveasoft upgrade for my WRT54GS, will the range expander still be compatible? The WRE54G explicitly states that it's only compatible with 3 Linksys products (the WRT54GS being one), and I'm concerned that using different firmware would cause a problem with this compatibility.

I'm actually hoping the firmware upgrade & signal boost will solve my true problem outright (weak signal in my basement from the upstairs router that drops the connection frequently). But if it doesn't I'd still want to get the range expander working to get a more reliable connection downstairs.

I welcome any feedback and advice as I know just enough about wireless to be dangerous but nothing more!

-John

hi

the range expander won't work with the SVEASOFT firmware

here are the MINIMUM firmware version requirements that devices must meet before being able to connect with the WRE54G:

WRT54G : at least firmware version 2.04.7
WRT54GS: at least firmware version 2.07.1
WAP54G : at least firmware version 2.07

The WRE54G works with Sveasoft firmware.

The WRE is the same internally as a WAP or WRT54G, just without the Ethernet ports. It uses WDS to connect. Enter the MAC of the WRE in the WRT WDS setup page and choose the LAN WDS type.

The DHCP server must be active on the WRT.

This should be all you need to do.

We still haven't tried yet if the Sveasoft firmwares works with the WRE54G,because it's not a Linksys provisioned software unlike Boingo software.It's just only that if Linksys discover that the router is using a different firmware,and there would be a chance that you want to replace it,I think they wouldn't allow it(just a thought).

Thanks.

Two possible cases:

. The router is so dead that a firmware flash cannot be done to it. In that case Linksys would have no idea what firmware was installed;

. The second case is that the router is still flashable but othewise not working. Flash with the Linksys firmware and return it.

I should note that:

. The base firmware code used by all firmware adapters is from Linksys itself as a public domain release;
. There is nothing in the warranty statement that discusses non-linksys firmware as a warranty violation.

Hi,

what actually happens to the range expander / Acess Pt. when it is flashed with a SVEASOFT SOFTWARE? (or any other firmware out there) does it actually tweak the settings of the expander / AP making it transmit more power let's say to cover an area ?

i just don't wan't touch my current setings now cause it's working. but i do wan't to experiment in the future.i am also considering putting up a High Gain Antenna in combination with the Acess Pt. /Expander to maximize coverage.

There is no third-party firmware for the WRE54G as of yet, and I have not seen plans to develop it. There is nothing the WRE54G can do that a WRT545 or GS unit, as well as the WAP54G or GS unit, cannot do better and with more features than the WRE54G, and for less money.

For example, the firmwares from Wi-Fi Box, Sveasoft and others all include an ouput power control, allowing you to raise the transmit power of the radio 600%.

For a recent discussion of third-party firmware, including features list, the use of WRT and WAP 54G units in a role similar to the WRE54G, links and HOW-TOs, see: thread916-837246

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back