Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong version of run32.dll message

Status
Not open for further replies.

gekko

Technical User
Apr 24, 2000
US
Visit site
Hi,<br>I've searched the Microsoft Tech info about this, with no result.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have regularly updated my Windows 98 from the Microsoft Updates page.&nbsp;&nbsp;Somehow, I have acquired the NT version of the run32.dll.&nbsp;&nbsp;One of my programs just gives me the message &quot;Wrong version of dll file&quot; message and won't run.&nbsp;&nbsp;My HP scanner is more polite, tells me I have the NT version of run32.dll, and then runs fine.&nbsp;&nbsp;How can I get the windows version back?&nbsp;&nbsp;I tried the System checker, asking for the run32.dll to be replaced, but to no avail.&nbsp;&nbsp;I even made an attempt to extract the correct version from the original Windows disk CAB files, with no luck.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since my windows 98 is OEM, Microsoft won't help me without charge.&nbsp;&nbsp;I hope some of you gurus out there can help.<br>Thanks in advance.

How do I find out the correct date and timestamp for the elusive run32.dll that I need?&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks for the reply, Abelson -- does this mean you can give me the file? I looked at the files on the original Windows98 CD, and they are May 11,1998 8:01 PM.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Thanks again. <br>Gekko

Yes I was...but I have the same date file.<br><br>One last thought...are you sure there is only 1 run32.dll on your drive?<br><br>

This was a long time ago...surely it must have been fixed by now...Sometimes an install program will give you something named a little differently when it overwrites the file...search for variations and try renaming/restoring it if it looks close enough.
You might also try &quot;slamming&quot;...putting the file you need (copied from a functional system like yours) into the directory where the NT .dll resides.
John Payne

Thanks to all for your help. I was able to get the problem fixed, and was then greeted with a &quot;wrong version of CTL32.DLL&quot; message. I was pointed to a website that actually had the fix for this problem. It was one of the following (can't remember which).
Perhaps this will help someone else.
Gekko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back