Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong time on handsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khosher

Technical User
Dec 4, 2005
IE
Hi Guys,

Having a problem on a couple of systems with the time being incorrect on the handsets. BCM gets time from NTP and is spot on from EM, however hansets are out from this by anywhere between 10-40 seconds. Same on both TDM and IP

Tried multiple reboots, with no effect.

Anyone experience this ?

All patched to latest SUs. Also this is happening on 50/200/450s

I've seen this on BCM50 and BCM450, but only for IP handsets, not on TDM handsets, which are exactly the right time.

I've tried level1-resetting the BCM50, but the problem remains - the phones change time exactly 13 seconds past each minute, both before and after the reset. Other BCM systems I've seen are different numbers of seconds out.

I've used wireshark to see what happens, and I see that the BCM sends a UDP packet to the phone once per minute, with the text of what to display on the phone. So it's not the phone keeping the time: the bcm tells the phone what to display, and the text equals the current time. The phone will continue to display that text until it receives another update. If it misses one, it will keep the same time on the display for two minutes.

I found that, by setting the time on the BCM50 to 13 seconds slow, I could get the all phones to have synchronised times, all being 13 seconds out from the real time. So, always the IP phones get updated at 13 seconds past each minute, regardless of the actual time on the BCM50.
However, this had the effect of making the TDM phones be 13 seconds slow, which perhaps not all users would be happy with. Also, the BCM50 cannot easily then be set to get its time from an NTP server or from line trunks, etc.

I've also tried powering down the system overnight and then setting it up again. Again the phones get updated 13 seconds past each minute. I figure that the problem must be with the internal clock on the BCM50. My next task, when I get to it, is to remove the snaphat battery from the mainboard for a while and and see what happens afterwards. I don't know whether there's such a battery on a BCM450, though.

Is this a late april fools? I can't imagine taking more than maybe 14 seconds to trouble shoot this.

Bluemr2,

No joke at all. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. If you can shed some light, it would be well appreciated.

Bluemr2,

Are you able to help on this ?

Guess I just thought I was picky. Wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. Just wondering what kind of business needs the time on the sets to be that exact? Older BCM's did a time update 10 times per minute, or once every 6 seconds. Maybe that has been cut in half.
I set a digital set and an IP set side by side on my desk and the digital set always updates about 2 seconds faster than the IP set if that helps any.

MarvO said it

Nope. If 13 seconds is that important to you, I got an idea. GET A CLOCK! They are meant to tell time. Phones aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back