Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong Set Type Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinney

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2004
US
We had five 4621SW IP phones that were giving this error, would not allow us to try entering a new extension and we couldn't figure out why.

We did a RESET and CLEAR command and still the phones would give this error.

I hard coded an IP address, call server IP, Router IP, etc. into the phone and did a "list trace ras ip-address [ip I hard coded for the phone]" as it tried to register.

I found it was trying to register to an extension that was, of course, the wrong phone type. It gave the same error, but it appears that because it had a new IP address, after about 20 seconds the phone went back to the login screen, allowing me to enter a new extension and working properly again.

It appears that somewhere in the phone system, ftp server, or dhcp server that old configuration information regarding the phone was being stored. I assume that it is the MAC address of the phone that drives this and old configuration information is being sent to the phone over and over again.

If this is true, does anyone know where this information is being stored and if it can be cleared, so phones experiencing this problem can be fixed without hard coding in an IP address?

Using the HOLD/MUTE commands we can find the MAC address of the phone when it's experiencing this issue.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Stinney

Favorite all too common vendor responses: "We've never seen this issue before." AND "No one's ever wanted to use it like that before.

The phone will maintain the extension it was previously registered to in most cases.

The only time I have seen this not be true were phones that had been disconnected from the network for extended periods of time.

Wrong Set Type CAUSE: The PBX does not recognize the set type.
RESOLUTION: Ensure the PBX is properly administered to expect the appropriate telephone for the IP Address and extension.

csrgzz: You can't tell what extension it's trying to use. If you read my original post you'll see what I had to do to find out what extension it was trying to register to.

The issue is how to clear what extension it is trying to register to.

- Stinney

Favorite all too common vendor responses: "We've never seen this issue before." AND "No one's ever wanted to use it like that before.

Hi Stinney,

If you know the extension trying by the 4621SW. Please change the extension type to 4621SW.

If you don't know the extension. please try to setup a sniffer or ethereal to capture the packet sending from 4621SW. it is very easy to find the extension no into packet data field.

Ava88

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back