Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wrong netmask on solaris 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamMcLaughlin

Technical User
Oct 16, 2007
US
Hi,
Although not new to Unix, I am relatively new to Solaris and have the following problem while migrating our servers to a different network.

The solaris 8 and 9 servers have been ok but with solaris 5 we get the wrong netmask on boot up.

The address range is: 10.x.y.0/24

The netmasks file is: 10.x.y.0 255.255.255.0

We are using nis and the nis file netmasks and networks have the correct entries.

However we get a class a netmask ff000000 netmask and IIRC broadcast of 255.0.0.0.

I can run ifconfig hme0 netmask 255.255.255.0

which will resolve the problem but on a reboot, the problem returns.

The only things that I can find different between these servers and solaris 8 servers is that a previous employee who migrated workstations had disabled ip_forwarding and had created the file /etc/norouter but I have not had time to look into this yet.

I have also changed nsswitch.conf to look at files before nis for netmask and networks but this did not help.

Any ideas?

If the only requirement is to issue a:

ifconfig hme0 netmask 255.255.255.0

when the box reboots, just put this in an executable file in (for example) /etc/rc2.d, call it something like S99netset and this should run automatically every reboot.

Hope this helps.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Thanks
I will try this.
I had thought along these lines, but was not sure where to put the start up file in the init process as I was not sure how this would effect other services e.g. I need to fic the netmask before nfs starts but I guess nfs starts up in rc3.d - I will check this.
Thanks.

Try the getent command and see what it returns.

I think it's getent netmasks .. don't remember exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back