Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

... wrong major or minor number ... on my IBM laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

IngmarAtNetikus

Instructor
Oct 12, 2000
AT
I am no linux expert - actually do have very little knowledge about it. I am pretty good with the WinNT stuff, so still learning linux. Linux Mandrake here is installed on IBM Thinkpad T20 laptop. It has a so called ultraport where I can either put in a floppy drive or DVD cdrom. At this point I'm trying to get a floppy running.

Since I have no bootdisk (I couldn't create it during the boot because I had the CDROM in the bay) I am booting with an MSDOS floppy first and executing loadlin. This is because I messed up during the installation of lilo and specified hda5 instead of hda as the destination.

Anyway, when the system boots it gives me the first error message:

/dev/hda1 has wrong major or minor number

I read a little bit and found that IDE drives should have a major number of 3 and a minor number according to their hdax number. Well, I don't know how I can influence that or fix it!

If I run mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy I get the same error message. My floppy is being accessed but then the message "/dev/fd0 has wrong major ..." comes up.

I ran the following commandos:

1. cat /proc/devices
Code:
Character devices 
1 mem 
2 pty 
3 ttyp 
4 tty0 
5 console 
7 rcs 
10 misc 
29 fb 
162 raw 

Block devices 
1 ramdisk 
2 fd 
3 ide0 
9 md

<Are those the minor numbers?>

2. cat /proc/filesystems
Code:
      filesystems 
nodev proc
3. cat /etc/fstab

<I skipped the ones I think are not important ...>
Code:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/DOS_hda1 vfat user,exec,conv=auto 0 0 
/dev/fd0 /floppy auto sync,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,unhide 0 0

Does anybody have any suggestions?
[sig][/sig]

well, since it's a fresh new install, you may want to go back in and reinstall drake. Get drake 7.1, it has an awesome boot loader known as grub, and can see different hdd. [sig][/sig]

I already solved the problem myself by booting from the HD and not with a dos bootdisk and loadlin. [sig][/sig]

I've seen this error before, and the news isn't pretty ....
Chances are pretty strong that you have a hard drive that's LINUX unfriendly. Which means, hey sure, can install, can run, but nothing but grey hairs when
A. Attempting to run a partition SW package for a dual boot, or
B. Attempting to mount a DOS/WIN9X drive on your linux partition (/dev/hda1, /dev/hdb1, etc.). Sorry. Hope I'm wrong, but been there done that. Floppies? Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back