Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong IP Resolution - external website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlimey

MIS
Sep 29, 2005
US
We appear to be getting the wrong IP returned for a web-based site. Our internal MS DNS is setup to forward look-ups to the standard root hint servers (e.g. a.root-servers.net, etc).

The site in question is JDETIPS.COM.
Outside our company network, it resolves to: 67.21.112.109
Inside our company network, if resolves to : 69.43.154.45

What am I missing here? We use tipping point devices and such ... would these be screwing with the lookup? When I do a whois with the 69.43.154.45 address, it translates to ERPTIPS.COM ... domain name linked with JDETIPS.COM.

Help!

Thanks,
Red.

They are both for erptips.com. One, 67.21.112.109, appears to be a mail server as it resolves to mail.erptips.com.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this and reply.

My question is why does a ping to from within our company network (unrelated to erptips or jdetips) resolve with the incorrect 69.43.154.45 address.

When I do a lookup for I get 67.21.112.107, which most likely is part of the same network at some level, but is different than the ones you mentioned.

When I attempt to do a reverse lookup, I am refered to NS2.PIXELED.NET., which appears to be a private nameserver as connections to it time out (refused?). If you are getting 67.21.112.109 from it, I would be looking to see if there is an error in its records.

Does your company's internal name servers resolve the JDETIPS.COM zone too? I would start looking there.

You can use the interactive mode of nslookup to query specific name servers to find the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back