Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong IP Address from Scope Being Assigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOmegaMan

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2003
US
Info:
1. multiple subnets (30)
2. DHCP server is a win2k AD a DHCP super scope
3. Routers all have the IP helper address pointed to the DHCP server

When Clients boot up sometimes they get an IP address from the wrong subnet. I.e. If the Cleint boots from 10.1.1.x /24 subnet but may get a 10.1.2.x /24 address or a 10.1.3.x /24 address etc. My only option is to disable what scope the client is getting an address from renew it to get the correct one , then reanable the the scope. Deleting the lease from the wrong scope dosent work.

I tryed clearing the ARP table from the routers as well.

This sounds like dns is not updating the ptr records, therefore, dns will retain the first ip assigned to the clients pc name. There is a DHCP option (client fqdn) that allows for dynamic updates so that the dns server matches the dhcp server.

Dont think its DNS, this happens with DOS clients as well. But ill take a look. Thanks

The Super scope is hosting all the subnets. So yes there is a differnt scope for each subnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back