Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong interrupt for sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozman

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
CA
I have Win98 with 32megs ram, ADSL, SB Ensoniq and a standard modem. On bootup, I get the "blue screen of death" stating that the system had incorrectly routed the interrupt for my sound card. I tried to force the interrupt to different settings, but this didn't work.

My motherboard has 3 PCI slots. When I swap the network card with the soundcard, the network stops working, but the sound card works. So I swapped the cards around some more. I found out that there is only 1 PCI port where both cards will work, they won't work on the other 2. However, Win98 will correctly identify the cards no matter what PCI slot they are in. I suspect a motherboard problem, but am not sure. This problem came up after Telus had come and installed the network card for ADSL.

Please Help....

Quick and simple help,,,,,, ( I can't do much else remotely)

DISABLE BOTH SERIAL PORTS IN THE BIOS

That will free up IRQ 3 & 4.

Keep juggling after that.

guess only...if you have an old motherboard, there may only be one bus mastering pci slot and both the soundcard and the nic need to be in a bus mastering slot. It is the usually the one to the left if you are looking at the back of the pc. Look up the manual for the motherboard on the internet, if you don't have it handy, and check to see how many bus mastering slots it has. As I said, guess only from where I'm sitting. Time flies when you don't know what you're doing...

some motherboards close off slots that are not in use, You could maybe restore factory defaults in bios. I know there is a switich in some bios to desiable the slots from being locked.I hope the person did not try to install the card while the power cable was on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back