Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong DNS server being given out in DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdoub1eu

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2003
US
Hi all!

I've noticed a strange thing happening on a few machines:

Users are having general connectivity issues and when I do an IPCONFIG /ALL, there DNS server is completely wrong. But in DHCP, the DNS servers are correct and the majority of people are getting the correct DNS/WINS server IP addresses. If I do a /release and /renew, they do get the correct settings...

This is a long shot, but I believe our switch is failing that our DHCP server is connected to. We had a bad storm last Friday and we've had strange things going on ever since. 4 ports in this switch have already gone bad. Could this switch be the problem with the wrong DNS server IP address being given out to these few users?

I know it's a stretch...I would think that if there were problems with the switch, they wouldn't be able to connect at all...Not get the wrong settings...

Thanks in advance...I know this is a strange issue...

Any ideas?

Sounds to me like you got yourself a rogue DHCP server mate.
It assigned the incorrect options then must've been offline when you went to renew the client lease and it then picked up the correct options from the correct server.

I could be wrong but I have seen this before.

Brent

We need the operating systems of the clients to start with. If they are new enough, they can give us error messages in the logs. Also, any kind of error messages on the server? Brent could be right if you have any laptops coming in, but if you're clients are desktops, chances are it's not a rogue. On the off chance, have you brought any new machines on line lately?

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois, Wisconsin or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848

Turned out to be a wireless access point configured for DHCP...Thanks for the responses.

DOH! I shoud have thought of that, had it happen to me once years ago. Glad you got it solved.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois, Wisconsin or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back