Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong BIOS Update,Computer not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
I hav Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra P4 motherboard. I tried to update bios and it went wront due to wrong bios. Now when i switched on the computer there is no power led, floppy led or hdd led and even i cant see anything on the screen. Ive heard that there is a jumper to kill/Flash Bios but i cannot find it. I refered to the manual but it doesnt says anything abou it and also ive tried looking around the cmos battery no sign of it. If anybdy know abou it please help me.Thanks

Try disconnecting the cable from the power supply; and then removing the CMOS/RTC battery from the system board. With the system in that state, press the power ON/OFF button on the case. This should drain the capacitors of any residual power. Leave the system for a few minutes as is; then put the battery back in... followed by the power cable. This should blow the CMOS and revert it back to the factory default settings.

Worst case scenario if this doesn't work: you may need to have the board sent back to the manufacturer in order for them to reset it for you. If that's the case, you may want to weigh the cost against purchasing a new board.

Hope this helps.

Mick

Complacency is the rigor mortis of the soul.

Howdy:

What has been suggested to you already won't work because you have already overwritten the factory CMOS setting with an improper CMOS update and that is what is written into the CMOS chip now..

Did you happen to save you old BIOS like you should have when you were prompted to BEFORE you tried the update??

If you didn't, your only real option will be to contact the system board manufacturer for a new CMOS chip and have it installed..

Murray

That's what I feared would be the worst case, Murray. Although wouldn't blowing the CMOS essentially wipe out the settings that are currently written to the chip now?

In any case, the way I see it is that it's usually cheaper to attempt to blow the CMOS and if it doesn't work, replace the mobo with a new one, rather than ship the board back and have them fix it for you.

By the initial description, it seems as if saving the old BIOS is rather a moot point; as the system isn't even going through the POST.

You may be right, Murray.

Mick

Complacency is the rigor mortis of the soul.

Hi there, you could also try the following:

BIOS RECOVERY

FOR AMI BIOS

1. rename the AMI Bios file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it to a floppy disk, e.g. A569MS23.bin to AMIBOOT.ROM

2. insert this floppy disk in the floppy drive. Turn on the System and press and hold CTRL-Home to force update.

3. when 4 beeps are heard you may remove the floppy disk and restart the Computer.

FOR Award BIOS

1. make a bootable floppy disk.

2. Copy the Award flash utility & BIOS file to the said floppy disk.

3. Create an autoexec.bat with "awdfl535 biosfilename" in the content, e.g. awdfl535 a619mj21.bin

4. Boot up the system with the said floppy (it will take less than 2 minutes before screen comes out).

5. Re-flash the BIOS & reboot.

Hope this helps...

Ben

Don't ALL Gigabyte motherboards have dual bios chips to prevent this exact same senario?
You should be able to boot with the backup bios and reflash, this time with the proper bin file.
I run a Gigabyte motherboard and flash my bios without giving it a second though in the knowledge that if anything does go wrong there will always be a backup.
Read you manual carefully for recovery procedure.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

This board has Dual bios, and i followed the procedure of BadBigBen but computer doesnt boots frm floppy neither i can see any led, only i can hear is cpu fan workin and sort of noise of harddrive. This morning ive removed the cmos battery and in the evening i will try the procedure of Pshyphon, hope it works oh god............

I wouldn't bother removing the battery, as stated above the new BIOS has been written onto the chip. It's no longer lingering in memory its burned into your hardware.

As paparazi says, if your motherboard has a Dual BIOS then refer to the manual as to how to recover.

Hi all,

the procedure above sometimes works on single BIOS mobos...
for the dual chip mobos, there is another workaround, and either described in the manual or on the manufacturers website...

paparazi - the newer ones do... I've got a board with just one chip (6bxc) and can't get it to post either...

Bickyz - double check your power connection on the mobo, you should at least have the power led lighting up...

Ben

Thanks all

I tried, but nothing works...ready for bin i think....

If you have an old computer which you do not value you could try the following:

Load old computer to command prompt, remove BIOS chip carefully. Place Broken BIOS chip in place and flash BIOS using the ROM it should have had. Swap BIOS chips back.

If you do try this be very carefull and do not put a chip in the wrong way around, as I recall we did that once to see what would happen and it got roasted.

We did this about 6 years ago, and technology has moved on some since then mind you.

The same thing came on me yesterday. I have solved the problem just changing a jumper's position.

This jumper's name is Format/Reset CMOS.
It will probably working.
If there is no such kind of jumper then remove the BIOS battery,wait for several seconds and place it.

If both of two ways do not work then use a BIOS flasher...

Hope it works

antialias-
The Bios that was flashed was the wrong bios! If you reset the Bios (with a jumper OR with the battery), it will only reset the settings in the Bios that is currently on the chip....but since that bios is the wrong bios, resetting it wont help. Resetting the BIOS wont magically make the old bios appear if the user has written over it.

BigBadBen's description isn't going to help in this scenario due to my description above.

If you have a dual bios like you say you do, look in the motherboard manual for how exactly to use this! But, when you turn on the PC, a message should appear that says: "Primary BIOS is not ready" and then you should be offered the option to restore it from what is saved on the reserved bios. If restoring is confirmed, the BIOS recovery utility is activated. This program restores the initial BIOS version, or if it fails to, it restarts the system with the reserved BIOS.

Hi,
First my mother board doesn't have a Dual Bios. You are right some of the gigabyte mainboards have Daul Bios.
In my situation, I used the clear CMOS jumper, then turn the jumper back to its original position. If i started my PC there was a message on the screen, it said:

Your CMOS hasn't been properly configured. To restore default values press F2.

And I pressed F2, seen that a lot of options are opened on the CMOS Management screen. Add to this, the BIOS revision number has changed form f28 to f45. So I think the BIOS has properly configured.

But if i resetted the wrong BIOS how could the revision number and the setting options(like Enhanced ATAPI Performance Option or Changing Current values Option) in CMOS change?

You obviously didn't upgrade with the wrong bios then. Since that was in your origional post, I (and others) thought for sure that you must have used a bios that wasnt made for your motherboard. It seems as though you flashed with a newer version of the correct BIOS for your motherboard like you wanted to. If everything works, then you're good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back