Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WrkGrp switch being ignored

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigersbh

Programmer
Jul 24, 2007
US
Hello. I have someone who has the following command line in her shortcut (and it worked on her previous computer):

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "F:\QC DB\QC WORK STATION.mdb" /WRKGRP "F:\QC DB\Secured.mdw"

(yes there really are spaces in the path and filename. Grrrr)

However, on her new computer the "WRKGRP" switch is ignored and the program uses the default C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\system.mdw instead. No error messages are returned when the shortcut is executed.

As a test I tried copying the MDB and MDW to c:\ and changed the shortcut to point to them, but still had the same problem. So that at least rules out a network issue.

As another test, I temporarily renamed her default workgroup (at C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\system.mdw) and then copied her Secured.mdw to C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\system.mdw and then her program used her MDW just fine. So I guess that rules out her MDW file being corrupted/bad.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why her original shortcut seems to ignore the "/wrkgrp" switch?

Thanks.

Here is something to try.
Change your Target
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "F:\QC DB\QC WORK STATION.mdb" /WRKGRP "F:\QC DB\Secured.mdw"

To:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" /wrkgrp "F:\QC DB\Secured.mdw" "F:\QC DB\QC WORK STATION.mdb"

Also, change case of wrkgrp to lower case.

Hope this helps,
Hap...

Access Developer [pc] Access based Accounting Solutions - with free source code
Access Consultants forum

Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow. I'm goofing off this afternoon. ;-)

The more common reason for this failure is the mdw file is NOT in the specified path. It may still be in the same actual location, but the drive mapping is different on the new machine.

MichaelRed

Well, nothing worked. I don't have time to keep fighting this. She only has 1 Access program that uses Access security so I just joined the workgroup thru the workgroup administrator program. At least she can do her work. I hope to get that onto a SQL back-end before long, but I still wish I knew what the deal is! Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back