Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRKGADM.EXE giving me an error

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirnavi

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
US
Hi -

I have a 97 secured Access db that I would like to upgrade to a 2002 db. I am testing it on a Windows 2000 box (all the other boxes in the department are NT). When I try to join the workgroup (yes, I made a backup), it tells me "Access is denied". According to the MS white paper, 2002 should have the capability of joining a 97 workgroup. Is the problem the difference in Windows versions?

Any solution ideas?

I just tried creating a new workgroup on the 2000 machine and it also gives me the "Access is denied" error when I attempt to join it.

?

What you can do, is if you have NO ACCESS 97 USERS, you can "upgrade" your workgroup file to 2002 format. Steps:

1: BACK UP THE FILE!
2: Rename the file to a .MDB extension
3: Open the database by double-clicking. You will be prompted if you want to upgrade/convert the file. Do so.
4: Exit out of the database.
5: Rename the file back to .MDW
6: See if it works now.

Is the workgroup file on a network server? It may be your Windows 2000 machine doesn't have access rights to the folder or .mdw file.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back