Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writing my name in sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinetics

Technical User
Nov 19, 2006
US
Hi all...

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make my name look like it has been written in sand on an image?

Thanks
destinetics

Well, I can think of the odd way I might tackle it, but can you clarify what you want to do:
[ol]
[li]Simulate scratching your name in an expanse of sand (wet? dry?) like you might do at the beach.[/li]
[li]Simulate carefully pouring sand onto a plain background to spell your name.[/li]
[li]Something else[/li]
[/ol]
Also, what do you have to start with? For example, if you're after option 1 above, do you have a picture of some unwritten-in sand to begin with?

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Option 1... I have an animated gif of the beach when the tide goes in and out... when the tide goes out and reveals the sand, I want my name to be shown on the sand...

Hope this helps,
Terri

That's not very logical, is it? You should make your name disappear when the wave comes in, not appear.

Well that sounds nice also but I still am stuck because I don't know how to do either one... Do you?

I don't think graphics have to be logical.

I'm still having a little difficulty in visualising this image. Is it looking at a beach from a distance, with time lapse photography to show the tide coming in/out? If so it should be relatively easy to get the name-in-the sand effect by picking the right font/colour and distorting it to get the perspective right.

Or are you talking about a close-up, straight down view with a wave coming in/out. If so, you should be able to adapt this approach: which, though written for Corel photopaint, should be possible in PSP too.

Either way, you'll have the added complication of applying your name to every frame of the animation. The trick is to put it onto a layer that you can copy from frame to frame.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back