Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

writing ftpd activity to ftplog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanc2

MIS
Apr 18, 2003
US
I'm having trouble writing ftp activity to the ftplog. There was no log in /var/adm, so I touched the file to create. I have set the -i and -o flags in the inetd file, but nothing is writing to that log. These are SCO UNIX systems. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

have you tried:
kill -HUP 'pidORinetf'

vlad
+----------------------------+
| #include<disclaimer.h> |

The name of the log file should be /var/adm/ftplog

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I meant:
kill -HUP 'pidOFinetd'

vlad

I have ftplog in /var/adm as a link to /var/opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.6Ga/usr/var/adm/ftplog.

I tried kill -HUP for the inetd pid and still nothing.

Do you have 'lsof' on the machine? You can use it to list the file handles a process has open and see if it's using the file you think it is.

Good idea Eric.
The binary is here:
ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/binaries/osr/

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

or you can try 'fuser' if you have it.....

vlad

I do have lsof, but excuse my ignorance. What would be the command line options?

If I open an ftp session and run lsof | grep ftp, I see the ftp process and remote IP, but no filenames.

You may have to do it as root, since you only have permission to see your own processes. You're looking for the ftpd server process, not your ftp client process.

lsof -pPID_of_ftpd

Hope This Helps, PH.

This is my inetd.conf entry for ftp:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /etc/ftpd -d -l ftpd

I get semi-detailed logs in /var/adm/syslog, and different entries in /var/adm/xferlog

It's been a few years since I set-up logging on that server, so I don't remember what heartaches it involved.
This particular box is running 5.0.4 (on an old AMD586 w/16MB RAM!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back