Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writing Calender appointments to Exchange 2016 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmpalmer

Programmer
Aug 19, 2003
GB
I have a VFP client server system running with MS SQL backend where users can create diary appointments within the VFP system but I have a client who is wanting these to appear in their Exchange Server Calendars as well.

I have no experience of MS Exchange and was wondering if this is something any of you guy's may have done and can offer some pointers/advice.

My altenative is to find/have writtain an API that can pick up the data from SQL and push it out to Exchange.

Can anyone help?

Bob Palmer
The most common solution is H2O!

Are you using Outlook to start with?

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Hi Mike,
Some users do but not all. They have a mobile app that posts back to our systems SQL as well which complicates things.
I have read your threads on Outlook integration and for small local apps used some of that but Exchange Server is a different animal to me.

Bob Palmer
The most common solution is H2O!

I do something like this, you will need to work out the details

Code:
				SET CONSOLE OFF
				SET ALTERNATE TO (M.TEMPDIR+"Order Event.ics")
				SET ALTERNATE ON
				? "BEGIN:VCALENDAR"
				? "  VERSION:2.0"
				? "  METHOD:PUBLISH"
				? "  X-WR-CALNAME:FINECOSTS"
				? "  BEGIN:VEVENT"
				? "    UID:"+TRIM(M.FULLORDERNO)
				? "    DTSTAMP:"+DTOS(FCTORDR.DATE)+"T09150000Z"
				? "    DTSTART:"+DTOS(FCTORDR.DATEREQD)+"T09160000Z"
				? "    DTEND:"+DTOS(FCTORDR.DATEREQD)+"T09160000Z"
				? "    CATEGORIES:Orders Category"
				? "    X-ALT-DESC;FMTTYPE=text/html:<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC -//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN><html><body><font COLOR='#4F81BD' size=3 FACE='Verdana'><span><b>Finecosts Order Alert "+M.FULLORDERNO+"</span></font></span></html></body>"
				? "    LOCATION:Site"
				? "    SUMMARY:Purchase Order Due for Delivery On : "+DTOL(FCTORDR.DATEREQD)
				? "    PRIORITY:5"
				? "    BEGIN:VALARM"
				? "      ACTION:DISPLAY"
				? "      DESCRIPTION:REMINDER"
				? "      TRIGGER:-PT15M"
				? "    END:VALARM"
				? "    X-PUBLISHED-TTL:PT15M"
				? "  END:VEVENT"
				? "END:VCALENDAR"

SET ALTERNATE OFF
				SET ALTE TO				
				SET CONSOLE ON
				IF !EMPTY(FCTUSER.EMAIL)
					SECUREEMAIL(m.SMTPSERVER,m.SMTPNAME,m.SMTPUSERNAME,m.SMTPPASSWORD,TRIM(FCTUSER.EMAIL),"Order Raised to "+M.SUPPLIER+" No. : "+TRIM(M.FULLORDERNO),"Order Raised to "+M.SUPPLIER+" No. : "+TRIM(M.FULLORDERNO)+m.crlf+"Please open Order Event.ics attachment to get delivery reminder"+m.crlf+"by adding appointment to your calendar",587,m.FILENAME,M.TEMPDIR+"Order Event.ics")
				ENDIF

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

Bob,

I'm trying to gather this type of information and documentation for Lotus Notes, but for your requirements, this may be useful:
In particular, the Web Services section documents a rich SOAP-based API that allows any system and language to talk to an Exchange Server. For instance, to create a calendar event:
[If you or anyone else has a similar reference for Lotus Notes that I could be lead to, I would be much obliged].

It's been 20 years since I brushed up against Lotus Notes.

At that time a consultant recommended to us by a VP at Lotus told me "you'll never be able to get data from Notes without a custom API I'll write for you".

Phooey on that. The day they installed Notes on my computer I started spelunking the registry and found the exposed COM interfaces. Notes (and Notes people) consider it a closed box, but it really isn't.

I'm sure the information you seek is out there, but expect to have to claw and dig for it.

Thank you, Dan, I found some IBM documentation on this (an overall reference at Unfortunately I won't be able to test it or work on it, since the client decided to not have other applications connecting to their calendar data directly.

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested or in need to build or read ICS files and data, there is an iCal4VFP library available at the VFPX site / GitHub at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back