Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writing "batchfiles" in XP/W2K 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zudput

Technical User
Jul 3, 2003
US
I would like to create some "batch files" like I could in DOS and Win 9X for file copying and semi automated tasks. How can I do this? Thanks in advance for any help.
Dwight

Sorry about the quotes in the subject line. I didn't think they would show as QUOTE

Just do it.....

Grab notepad and write the commands you want, then save as tadada.bat in the proper place, and create some shortcut to it, as needed.

HTH
TonHu

If using notepad, be sure to put the filename inside double quote marks, so Notepad won't add a .txt extension on the end of the filename.

Note that NT4/2K/XP will also recognise a .CMD extension for batch files, but if you want to move it to a 9x platform, the .BAT is more portable.

John

Thank you TonHu and jrbarnett. The CMD instruction was also nice to know. You were both VERY VERY helpful
Dwight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back